Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Type 99 Arisaka

Article about: Hi, was doing some research on a family rifle and came across your site. I saw several people posting pictures of their Japanese rifles and thought I would share as well. This one is far fro

acooper
    ?

Default Type 99 Arisaka

Hi, was doing some research on a family rifle and came across your site. I saw several people posting pictures of their Japanese rifles and thought I would share as well. This one is far from being a highly sought-after museum quality collector's item, seeing as how the flower has been ground off, the barrel stock chopped and modified and a huge NRA seal stamped in the side of the stock . In any case, I've always thought it was a very interesting piece.

From what I can gather via online resources, it seems to be a Type 99 Nagoya. It has the metal butt instead of wood. What is confusing is the lack of any symbols preceding the serial number. I suppose it could have been ground as well, but this seems unlikely to me.

Also, I have read about a screw joint between the receiver and barrel for the paratrooper issued rifles. Does this describe what I have? I have seen pictures off 99s that look a bit different than mine where the barrel and receiver meet. These could just be manufacturing differences from year to year I suppose.

Apologies for the camera phone quality and thanks for any insight!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 99 Arisaka   Type 99 Arisaka  

Type 99 Arisaka   Type 99 Arisaka  

Default Re: Type 99 Arisaka

Hi acooper, welcome to the forum. Actually the photos are amazing for a cell phone camera. Interesting sporterized rifle indeed. Family heirlooms are always special and seldom of museum quality so don't let that bother you. I'm glad you are doing some research and as you discovered it is a Nagoya rifle. I think they had close to ten series with three different sub-contractors. The first block of Nagoya 99's were not marked with a series number, so that's why there are no markings before the serial number. It's not a paratrooper model, many of this makers rifles had the larger bolt head in the stock. That actually is strange because I think the earlier models had the smaller bolt head and nut. Oh well, still pretty cool. I love Arisakas. I'm afraid to shoot mine, but I still like them.

Take care,
    Jay

acooper
    ?

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I'm afraid to shoot mine, but I still like them.
    I'm a bit scared to shoot mine as well. It's not that I'm afraid of the age of the gun or its craftsmanship as much as the power of the ammo going into it. Thanks for the kind words!

dmthomp32
    ?

Smile Re: Type 99 Arisaka

Hey guys, I've been reading information from this site for some time now. Today I actually had to make a post because I need a little help in regards to my grandpa's arisaka type 99. Apparently he brought it back with him from his time in the pacific as most guys did. This Arisaka seems different than all the others I've seen though. It is definitely a type 99 due to the markings on the receiver/barrel but it has a completely different stock. The stock is much shorter than anything else I've seen on the 38, carbine, sniper or other type 99's. Initially I thought my grandpa maybe built his own stock, as he was a carpenter but this stock is old showing much wear and tear. Plus I know that he never used the rifle in his time back in the US after the war. I then thought it was a last ditch effort rifle but it has anti-aircraft sites, a serial number, removed mum, and the tall shielded front site. From the markings on the sides of the serial number, I believe it was made in either Koishikawa or Kokura. I also have a type 30 bayonet which I thought went with this rifle but there is literally no place to attach it because of the short stock and lack of a notch. I have attached pictures, please give me your thoughts on this rifle, I'm not interested in selling but just looking for an accurate history. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images Type 99 Arisaka  Type 99 Arisaka  Type 99 Arisaka 

Hi dmthomp, welcome to the forum. It's much more fun to be a member, than to just browse. It's hard to tell what's going on with your 99. The pictures are too far away and blury. Go to this website, emoryholst.com/index.php/tag/arisaka-type99/
    I don't know the guy, but it's an excellent one stop shop for all the type 99 info you need. In one place he has characters, arsenal symbols, subcontractors, serial look-up, along with serial numbers and productions numbers. Take a look and you will know exactly what you have.

Take care,
    Jay