MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 99 (Long?) Training Rifle

Article about: Good morning, folks! I just thought I'd share my latest freebie acquisition. A gift from a collector friend. This is what I believe to be a blank fire only, smooth bore Japanese training rif

Default Type 99 (Long?) Training Rifle

Good morning, folks!

I just thought I'd share my latest freebie acquisition. A gift from a collector friend.

This is what I believe to be a blank fire only, smooth bore Japanese training rifle. According to wikipedia:
    The Japanese government required all junior and senior high school boys to have at least two hours a week of military training. Several companies started producing the necessary training rifles for this purpose.
    It seems longer than what I'm used to... for a Type 99... it's similar in length to my Type 38... so it may be a "Type 99 Long"...

The rifle is missing it's magazine spring and follower and it may be missing a cleaning rod (if it ever had a cleaning rod in the first place...). Otherwise, the rifle is all there and all matching (#509). Unfortunately there is about a square inch of dry rot on the stock near the metal butt plate... this poor thing must have sat in a damp basement for a while... . No use messing with it too much.

When I get a free moment, I'll give this rifle some TLC with gun oil and super fine steel wool. I'll keep you guys updated...

Type 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training RifleType 99 (Long?) Training Rifle

Thanks for taking a look!

?

Hi,the stock,triggerguard,and sling swivels all appear to be for a type 38,and the reciever for a type 99,I guess they just cobbled something together,it`s just for training....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

good looking rifle Joe.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi,the stock,triggerguard,and sling swivels all appear to be for a type 38,and the reciever for a type 99,I guess they just cobbled something together,it`s just for training....Pete.
    Thanks for the comments, Pete and John!

It always amazes me how much effort the Japanese went to for a thing that just goes 'bang', although the ultimate must be their training MGs!-an excellent pickup, Joe!

?

Joe that isn't too bad for free!! I wish I collector friends like you!! lol. A nice rifle & thanks for showing Cheers Terry.

Thanks for the kind words, Lithgow and Terry! I'll give it a good oiling and tackle the rust probably this evening and post "after" photos. I also have to determine if it takes a Type38 or Type99 follower/ mag spring. It has a hole in the "nose" of the stock for a cleaning rod... I wonder...

'Wow' - Congrats once again Joe.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

This one looks almost the same?.....Japanese Training Rifle...
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Great gift!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast