Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

UK Deacts...If its not Illegal....is it legal?

Article about: This seems to be the question surrounding a subject ive only recently stumbled upon, despite calling myself a de-activated rifle collecter for many years. I have recently, on UK deact dealer

Reg
    ?

Default UK Deacts...If its not Illegal....is it legal?

This seems to be the question surrounding a subject ive only recently stumbled upon, despite calling myself a de-activated rifle collecter for many years.

I have recently, on UK deact dealers websites and private adverts found ...or come accross a category refered to as factory de-activated. I will post a link from a UK supplier giving a detailed and thankfully honest explanation of why he is happy to sell or take orders. Ild love a "like old spec" AK for an honest price, but wary of its legal standing. Ild like your thoughts as fellow collectors of such items, and indeed, just like to bring this category to your attention as I did not know it existed until recently, sorry if its one of those common knowledge things that I seem to miss out on so often LOL

New Page 1

Many thanks

Reg

Default Re: UK Deacts...If its not Illegal....is it legal?

Hi Reg, I have known about this for sometime and AS FAR AS I KNOW what he says in the advert is correct. Never been a firearm, so exempt. They have been sold openly as such for some years.

Cheers, Ade.

Based on from what I was told by firearms officers (who were rather clueless about the law) and someone from the BASC, I can back up what Ade has just said. If it was never made to discharge a shot or missile it cannot be classed as a firearm, as it never has technically been one. Just an inanimate object, this means the laws regarding deactivated weapons have nothing to do with it. There is also nothing in the VCRA that mentions such objects, however I'm unsure about what falls under the term of a realistic immitation firearm. I'll get back in touch with the person running the show in Dundee, because of all people the person in charge of the officers enforcing the law should know what the law is

Thanks

Danny

What would be the point in owning such an item, if it was not made to be a firearm then it has no historical value as such, it is in my opinion just a fake......

Reg
    ?

Cheers guys

This seems to be a grey area, Agree with you, I just wouldnt want to have to ever contest the case LOL. Shame it only works with new weapons.

Thanks again

Reg

Reg,
    take a look at this, Weapons OnLine - 1917A1 for sale This has cropped up a number of times in the past, If we have a reciprocal proof house agreement with that country, then it's legal.The waters have been deliberately mudied by the proof houses here and I'm afraid certain dealers in Deact weapons.The only thing I will say is if you bring a weapon in from say France, you must declare it at the customs.
    hope this puts your mind at rest Pete.

Reg
    ?

Quote by gibba1008 View Post
    What would be the point in owning such an item, if it was not made to be a firearm then it has no historical value as such, it is in my opinion just a fake......

Good point! I suppose an airsoft would do the same with the added bonus of actually chucking somthing out )

Reg

Reg
    ?

Interesting link Phoenix, thanks..I am still as baffled as before, but see there is a much wider picture (financial interest of uk proof houses, deact dealers etc) Think ill just stick to those little A3 pieces of paper I know about and wave them at any inquisitive bobby should heaven forbid the need ever arise....fingers crossed behind my back that they might have had some sort of even basic brief about de-activated weapon ownership and standards in Blighty. It is rather a shame that a society does not exist solely for the interests of deact weapons collectors, I did see somthing started by Arundel about two years ago, flashy website and suitably robust wording....but it seems...ironicaly inert, after the last gvt decided not to arse around banning or legislating pre95 deacts.

Anyone fancy the job? Lol
    Reg