Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

UK Law regarding relic weapons

Article about: Hello All My first post so please excuse any mistakes. I was wondering if any of you had any experience/knowledge of the situation regarding relic weapons and deactivation in the UK ? I unde

Default UK Law regarding relic weapons

Hello All

My first post so please excuse any mistakes. I was wondering if any of you had any experience/knowledge of the situation regarding relic weapons and deactivation in the UK ? I understand you can only own deactivated firearms with certificates unless you are a FAC holder, fair enough, but does this also apply to obvious relics such as the dug up rifle remnants and pieces of weapons that you sometimes see for sale ? If for example I bought a relic rifle in France does it need a UK deactivation cert ( I haven`t yet but I may do in future )
    Thanks for your time guys....
    PS - Love to see some relic weapon pics if you guys have any...

Default Re: UK Law regarding relic weapons

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, even an obvious relic firearm will require a deact certificate. You cannot buy any relic or deact in Europe and import it to the UK, unless it is on a firearms cert.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the advice Ade, I guess thats that. At the end of the day its not worth it. Luckily there seem to be a few dealers who get Deact relics from time to time plus hopefully some may turn up for sale on here ( I have emailed one member re a Webley and Luger relic though I expect they are sold by now but you never know ) so thats fine.
    Thanks again for clearing it up.

Hi Forestwalker,

I have brought pieces of rifles back from France in 07, if you mean the piece of obvious remnence, I bought back two pieces of K98 Mausers
    but they were just the barrel and part of the chamber, nothing to say they were a rifle. Just a rusty chunk of metal, they are ok to own in the U.K,. but if you mean a full but rusty rifle ect, then Ade is right you will need a cert, You can buy obsolete calibre weapons without a licence in the U.K, as the home office regard them as antiques, I have not long bought a nice 19th century .32 Cal, rimfire revolver c1897 and a licence is not required. You will find a lot of rifle parts in France mainly scrap but ok for a project to display.
    Dave.

Thanks for the advice Dave, at least I know I can bring a bit back if necessary. If you have any pics of these pieces or any other relic weapons would like to see them if poss, thanks again.
    All the best

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, even an obvious relic firearm will require a deact certificate. You cannot buy any relic or deact in Europe and import it to the UK, unless it is on a firearms cert.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, what if I wanted to buy a deact FROM the UK? Is it legal to ship it abroad (by certified gunsmith)?

Hi Jacek, yes, it is OK to export from the UK to another country, provided of course, the item is legal in that country.

If in ANY kind of doubt, talk to HM Revenue and Customs for expert advice.

Cheers, Ade.