Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified Canvas Gun Carrying Case

Article about: Picked these up at a local shop over the weekend. Not a clue what they might be to, what country, vintage or even if they are military. Only real reason I believe them to be military is that

Default Unidentified Canvas Gun Carrying Case

Picked these up at a local shop over the weekend. Not a clue what they might be to, what country, vintage or even if they are military. Only real reason I believe them to be military is that I did find them as a pair and also they have a very strong petrolium odor, neither is something I would expect from a private gun owner.

They are made of canvase and trimmed in leather. The canvas carrying strap is strudy as is the hardware and leather tabs. No buttons or zippes, only the leather buckle closure. The length is roughly 25 inches from the top opening (not the top of the open flap) to the base of the carrier. The mought of the carrier is roughly 7 inches wide, when laying flat. The leather base is roughly 2 inches in diameter.

The last two photos are of the only marks on these gun carriers, both have identical marking. The top, larger triangle appears to have the number “7” on top and an “R” and a “Z” under it. The bottom triangle is too small to read the marking however, it is possible that the top marking in the triangle is either the number “10” or possibly the number “40”. Also, on the leather piece that hold the carrying strap, on only one of the cases, you can see the number “49” double stamped into the leather. I failed to take a photo of this while I had the camera out.

Any thoughts/ideas what these are?

Thanks in advance,

Russ & Son

?

Default Re: Unidentified Canvas Gun Carrying Case

that looks to me as a Soviet ea made civil hunting gun cover
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

It's definately Soviet era, but I don't know what gun it is for.

Thanks guys, that gives me a little something to go on, about 100% more than I was working with before. I'm still of the belief that they are likely military, again because there was a pair of them together (not likely that a hunter or collector just happened let go of two identical cases at the same time) as well as the petrolium smell, which I believe might be from a metal preservative, such that is used on surplus gear. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Russ

From what I have managed to dig up, these are not gun cases at all, or at least I do not believe them to be. I found a photo, on an auction site, if a very similar item which they called a "Mine Stocks Bag" identified as being used by the Red Army.

What I am guessing now is that these are tool bags of sorts, something pointed, at the end, giving reason for the re-enforced and to the bag. Maybe for diffing railway tunnels during the war?

Maybe, someone with Magic Forum Powers, can move this thread on over to the USSR Field Gear thread, it might be better suited there.

Russ