Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unkown rifle,, Probably British. Need help.

Article about: The Greeks used French surplus Gras 11mm rifles in the late 19th century-they were common throughout the Balkans as the French vied for influence with the Germans and Austrians in the region

Default Re: Unkown rifle,, Probably British. Need help.

The Greeks used French surplus Gras 11mm rifles in the late 19th century-they were common throughout the Balkans as the French vied for influence with the Germans and Austrians in the region-the Turks used the Peabody Martini made in the USA during the same period before starting to get various Mausers-the long sequence of wars and uprisings through the period meant a lot of stuff ended up all over the place but not British military weapons as these were commercially traded within the Empire.

There was another post recently of a relic museum on one of the Greek Islands and that had a Martini too.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    There was another post recently of a relic museum on one of the Greek Islands and that had a Martini too.
    Do you remember where i can find it?

Anyway I bet the restaurant would make a great lamb souvlaki

Quote by hibacusa View Post
    Do you remember where i can find it?
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...museum-278444/

In one of the photos you can see it on the wall, looking back at it now, it could be a sporting gun converted from a Martini Henry rifle.

?

Yup, definitely a Martini-Henry (Or Henry-Martini as it has never quite been called one or the other specifically) Very good find. I myself have one of these rifles from the Zulu war, lucky for me I am still able to shoot it every once in a great while! If you have any questions, or would like to see it, let me know. It may help you identify any markings you may see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2