Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual Enfield MK3

Article about: The No.4 and 5 bolts were interchangable and Peter Laidler says that in service, they had no issues with fitting a no.4 bolt to a No.5 and vice versa. So really it dosn't matter what its got

Default Unusual Enfield MK3

One of my brother's friends heard that I was looking for an Enfield no4 mk1, so today he graciously gave me this Enfield. I know very little about Enfields, so I am hoping somebody can give me some information on this one, as it is very unusual. At first glance I thought this rifle was a "jungle carbine", but after examining it up close it appears to be missing a bunch of parts including the wood grips that are suppose to be around the barrel. It is marked "England" on the right side, "MK3" on the elevation sight, and marked "1943" on the left side above the trigger guard. I checked inside the barrel, and it appears to be in descent shape minus a little dust. My conclusion was that it is a MK3 that has been modified/cut down to some degree. If anybody would like more pictures please let me know.

Thanks,
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Enfield MK3   Unusual Enfield MK3  

Unusual Enfield MK3   Unusual Enfield MK3  

Unusual Enfield MK3  

Default Re: Unusual Enfield MK3

Looks like a No 4 that has been sporterised. You can get replacement woodwork but the barrel looks like it has been shortened to remove the bayonet lugs.

Hangarman

Hello Corey,
    I suggest that you look carefully for any marking that would indicate which model it is. It could also be a mix of different models as I see that it has a jungle carbine bolt.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Here are some more photos of the markings, bolt, and barrel tip. Just click on the photos for better detail. It does seem to be seriously messed with. Does anybody know of any websites for referencing Enfields? My search proved fruitless. Thank you guys for taking the time to look at the thread, your opinions are appreciated

Thanks,
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Enfield MK3   Unusual Enfield MK3  

Unusual Enfield MK3  

4md
    ?

Definitely looks sporterised Corey, genuine Jungle carbines have "No 5 Mk1" electropencilled on the side. The mk3 stamped on the backsight only applies to the sight, it is the third variation backsight assembly. The england stamp is a post war addition, i believe they did this when they imported the rifle into the U.S.A for some reason.

Wartime No 4 mk 1 rifles were made in BSA Shirley, ROF Maltby, ROF Fazakerley, Savage arms(USA),AND Longbranch(Canada).

The trouble with your rifle is you cannot see the factory marking on the side, next to where No 4 mk 1 is stamped. i would say it from one of the british factories

regards Paul

An Enfield No4 foresight protector. | eBay

Here's a link to a foresight protector.

Hangarman

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Corey,
    I suggest that you look carefully for any marking that would indicate which model it is. It could also be a mix of different models as I see that it has a jungle carbine bolt.
    Ralph.
    Hi rbminis, How does the bolt for a No4 differ from a No5 ?
    Cheers
    Hangarman

Paul, Hangarman, Ralph, thanks guys for the information. I'm planning to buy a complete no4 mk1 in the next few weeks, so I probably won't try to refurbish this frankenstein one. I wish I had the original rifle, but it isn't worth complaining about since I got this one for free.

Regards,
    Corey

Its a Enfield No.4 Mk1, barrel is good for plinking as it can't be recovered as its had a good 1 1/2" chopped off. I think the bolt has been drilled out in the handle rather than being a No.5 item, it also looks off centre and left in the white and I've not seen one left in the white.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I think the bolt has been drilled out in the handle rather than being a No.5 item, it also looks off centre and left in the white and I've not seen one left in the white.
    Fair enough, well spotted.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast