Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual Trapdoor trainer

Article about: Hi Guys I found this in a local shop. I usually don't buy toys but this was neat. It is a bit more than a toy but not a real gun. It is made to shoot percussion caps and has a steel sleeve a

?

Default Unusual Trapdoor trainer

Hi Guys
    I found this in a local shop. I usually don't buy toys but this was neat. It is a bit more than a toy but not a real gun. It is made to shoot percussion caps and has a steel sleeve around the barrel that appears to be the diameter to hold a M1816/1822 US spike bayonet. The trapdoor bayonet and M1858 Springfield are too small. I don't have an 1816 bayonet and had to borrow a musket to compare. It has casting numbers on the lock and hammer but I do not see any other marks.

Has anyone seen one?

Default Re: Unusual Trapdoor trainer

Wow! That's pretty nice. Do you have any idea about it's age or where it was made? It looks to have a few yrs. on it. That might end up being a nice collectors item. Thanks for showing!

?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Wow! That's pretty nice. Do you have any idea about it's age or where it was made? It looks to have a few yrs. on it. That might end up being a nice collectors item. Thanks for showing!

Thanks, Uncle Bill said from the turn of the century which makes sense with the obvious age and construction.

Almost like the real thing. (sorta) Your pretty fortunate to have that. Some 'toys' go for a good buck. You should try to research it.

?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Almost like the real thing. (sorta) Your pretty fortunate to have that. Some 'toys' go for a good buck. You should try to research it.
    Thanks, I am tying find out something about it.

If you find something out,please post it. I'm pretty interested to know.

?

If you find something out,please post it. I'm pretty interested to know.
    I'll be glad to. I found out one thing, it shoots. I have to shoot everything at least once. (see youtube below) Uses a musket cap that has to be mashed just a bit for a firm fit. All the no 11s I had were too small. I had some very old Alcan no 12 caps that fit but they did not go off. I rarely shoot percussion guns so had not looked at variations in caps in a long time. I noticed an original CW musket cap from a James shell fuse would fit and the nipple was just a bit smaller.

Anyone know of a good reference listing percussion caps and diameter?

Do you collect trapdoors packin9?

YouTube - trapdoor

Quote by copdoc View Post
    I'll be glad to. I found out one thing, it shoots. I have to shoot everything at least once. (see youtube below) Uses a musket cap that has to be mashed just a bit for a firm fit. All the no 11s I had were too small. I had some very old Alcan no 12 caps that fit but they did not go off. I rarely shoot percussion guns so had not looked at variations in caps in a long time. I noticed an original CW musket cap from a James shell fuse would fit and the nipple was just a bit smaller.

Anyone know of a good reference listing percussion caps and diameter?

Do you collect trapdoors packin9?

YouTube - trapdoor
    That utube was quick but still neat! (You I presume?)
    I would imagine if you went to a black powder site or forum you could find out about the caps. I have a Hawkins .54 cal. that uses #11 caps. I never thought of finding out about other sizes. I do some reloading and there are different size primers which I know about. As far as collecting trapdoors, no.$$$$ I don't have the bucks$$ some do. I was trying to find out something about yours and I came across a pic of one I picked up around 1983. I had forgot about it.I have it hanging in my shop. It's just a replica and doesn't shoot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Trapdoor trainer  

?

Yes that is me in the video. I have found some info on caps. I use the No 11 on my Hawkin but got a nipple to use musket caps since they are easier to hold in my big hands. I had an assortment of antique and modern caps but after reading apparently there is some variability in the size of some caps even if they are the same number. That does not surprise me I just never read about them.

Yea collecting trapdoors would require big bucks. I saw a trapdoor collection last weekend and the collector had never seen a cadet rifle like mine. He had quite an assortment.

Nice replica. I got to see a collection of original Colt revolving rifles a while back, some with original bayonets. Talk about needing $$$ for guns.

I bought a replica Volcanic on sale for $35 and it saved me about $25,000 from what an original would cost.

You have shop, put up a link or some info. You can't beat free advertising.