Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Post Office Revolver Manual

Article about: Enjoy this quite scarce US Post Office Revolver Manual for Postal Inspectors...The weapons shown are all Colt Revolvers...BILL

Default US Post Office Revolver Manual

Enjoy this quite scarce US Post Office Revolver Manual for Postal Inspectors...The weapons shown are all Colt Revolvers...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Post Office Revolver Manual   US Post Office Revolver Manual  

US Post Office Revolver Manual   US Post Office Revolver Manual  

US Post Office Revolver Manual  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: US Post Office Revolver Manual

Nice to have Bill. I'm kind of partial to all things 'Postal'. Ron

?

Nice Bill, thanks for posting

I have not thought about this manual in 25 years but still found it.

I have the 1967 edition. Looks like yours is the 1959. In the flower power years (60s) it was not fashionable to shoot so they taught you to just hold out your hand. This one has the Colt also but I think I have an older manual with S&Ws.

My Dad told me that after WWII the local PO had some 45 revolvers and a BAR. When I worked at the new PO (~1969)I asked the new Postmaster about them. He remembered them but was not sure if they were sent to the new building. He said no one ever looked at them or cleaned them. We looked everywhere and he said they must have evaporated. I have read the POs were sent a variety of guns including some Colt TSMGs in the 1930s to fight the gangsters.

Another nice one copdoc. Did you work there (PO)very long?

?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Another nice one copdoc. Did you work there (PO)very long?

Thanks
    I only worked there about a year. The guys there encouraged me to go to college and get an education. They are retired and living on the lake and I have another 15-20 to serve and will retire in the grave. They meant well but if I had stayed I would have about 40 years of service. (and might have found the BAR ). Well I started after the amnesty, a day late and a dollar short again. Here is the newspaper I saved from that time.

Hi,

This is my first post here. I know this thread is a bit old, but thought that I would add something. When I started with USPS there was a military issue 1917 Colt in one of the safes.

I recall that in the late '70s or early '80s it was removed,packed and shipped to the Inspection Service.

A local gun shop had a "U.S. Postal Department" marked Colt .22 revolver for sale. I returned to the shop to buy it a few days later, only to find that the shop had been burgled a day or so earlier. The little Colt was one of the guns that had been stolen.

RS

?

Quote by Skookum View Post
    Hi,

This is my first post here. I know this thread is a bit old, but thought that I would add something. When I started with USPS there was a military issue 1917 Colt in one of the safes.

I recall that in the late '70s or early '80s it was removed,packed and shipped to the Inspection Service.

A local gun shop had a "U.S. Postal Department" marked Colt .22 revolver for sale. I returned to the shop to buy it a few days later, only to find that the shop had been burgled a day or so earlier. The little Colt was one of the guns that had been stolen.

RS
    Interesting. I have a Post Office holster that appeared to fit a 2", J frame Smith or small Colt. I bought it out of a box full from a pawn shop just outside of Ft Bragg a long time ago. I wondered what they used in them. I think the holsters were 2-3 bucks apiece. Was the Colt the short barrel "Banker's Model"?

It's been 25 years or so since I saw it. It may have been a Police Positive, Banker's Model or Detective Special. I do remember that it was unusual, in that it had a 3" barrel.

RS

?

Quote by Skookum View Post
    It's been 25 years or so since I saw it. It may have been a Police Positive, Banker's Model or Detective Special. I do remember that it was unusual, in that it had a 3" barrel.

RS
    I think they with 2-3" barrel they would all fit. The holsters were dated 1952-1953. I would love to have a 3" 22 Colt with Post Office markings. Sorry you missed it.

I think about that little .22 a lot, for some reason. Kind of regret that I didn't buy it when I first saw it. I spent 32 "Love-Hate" years with USPS. It's kind of an anchor I guess.

RS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast