Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Veterans Day 11-11-11

Article about: Happy Veterans Day Everyone....Bill

Default Veterans Day 11-11-11

Happy Veterans Day Everyone....Bill
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Default Re: Veterans Day 11-11-11

Semper Fi
    andrew

Happy Veterans Day

Veteraanin iltahuuto - YouTube

?

Happy Veterans Day to all who have served or are serving now!

?

HQ Co, 10th Engineer Bn. 3rd Div

We did several presentations for one of the local middle schools on the 11th, based on the writings and family history of my grandfather, Pvt Robert S. Adams and his Brother, Pvt William W. Adams.
    Many schools do not allow weapons on the campus, but the schools in the two counties where I live are an exception, they do require that all firearms be deactivated by Idaho standards before they are brought onto the campus (Idaho standard deactivation is to remove all cartridges from the chamber and magazine).

One of the best moments was during the question and answers, as student asked if the grenades were real, when I replied "yes"every student (about 170) in the hall at the time, leaned forward and then stood in unison. We knew we had their attention at that time.
    The presentation was centered around one letter my great uncle sent to his father telling of meeting his brother in the front line trenches (it was actually in No Man's Land)

France, November 6, 1918

Dear Dad
    I received your most welcome letter while at the front, and have hardly had time since we have returned to answer. We were moved from the eastern to the western front, and had plenty of action, but the most important thing was that I got to see Bob, even tho I had to go into the very front line trench to see him. We were in the rear of the infantry, fixing roads, as the Germans were being driven ahead very fast, and the roads were full of shell holes and cut up with heavy transportation.
    We were under shell fire day and night from the Germans, and our artillery was firing over our heads. Sleep was next to impossible, but the very night I did go to sleep, Bob’s regiment went thru on its way to the front. They went over the top at daylight, and Bob was in the first wave. As soon as I could, I left the company (without permission) and took some rations and started for Bob’s Division. When I got to the headquarters there was a ration detail there, and they said it was almost impossible to get to where Bob was, but that he was safe. They were trying to get rations in as the men had had nothing to eat for two days, as the shell fire was so intense that they could not get food in or wounded out. I took the chance. Two airplanes flew over us and turned their machine guns on, and bullets were flying every where, but no one was hit. They were shooting from the woods at us also. A short distance farther the Germans started a barrage which lasted three hours, and how any of us escaped is a little more than a miracle, but we were on the edge, and not in the middle of it. There was some gas, and we wore our masks for a while. After the barrage stopped we went again forward, jumping from shell hole to shell hole, as the Germans were shooting star shells and spraying our way with machine gun bullets. When we got up where Bob’s outfit was they only had a shallow trench, about 18 inches deep, and most of the men were in shell holes. Bob was in the very front, and they told me that I could not get there, but I insisted, so one of them went out across No Man’s Land and found the hole where Bob and four others were and told him that his brother was there, but he was dead tired, and did not believe them. They told me where he was, and I went out, and by accident, dropped in where he was. There was never such another meeting between brothers, and if God spares us both, we will never forget it.
    We visited about forty minutes, and the Boche gave us a machine gun barrage, kicked up a lot of dust on us, and we expected a counter attack, but they did not come. I was unarmed, as I carried rations and could not carry a gun. One of the cooks from Bob’s company was with us, so I came out with him. We were shelled going out , and got some good strong gas, but took refuge in a dugout which the Germans had built. Bob was feeling fine, and as cool as if he were at home in a rocking chair. Too much credit cannot be given to the American Infantryman, both officers and privates, as they are all the same at the front. Bob has been over three times. I don’t suppose he told you, because it’s not like him to say much. Many were wounded and quite a few killed, but the Germans are whipped, and past their strong places of defense.

There were many German prisoners passing us each day. We were only about 2½ miles in the rear. Bob’s division has been relieved at about the same time as we were and I doubt if we will ever again be taken into action, especially Bob’s outfit as they have certainly done their bit. You will probably hear from him soon.

Best
    Gus

Very nice display Gus, and an interesting story, thanks for sharing!

Mat