Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev

Article about: Last weekend bought this 1947 made Tokarev from a Army vet who brought it back from Vietnam with him to the States in 1967. He told me he had never cleaned or fired it since he came home. Ju

Default Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev

Last weekend bought this 1947 made Tokarev from a Army vet who brought it back from Vietnam with him to the States in 1967. He told me he had never cleaned or fired it since he came home. Just tucked it away on a closet shelf, where it sat till he brought it to the gunshow today. The barrel, frame and slide match, the magazine does not. The mag and pistol prefix 4X match, but not the number.(772 &1007 for the magazine) Did not really give it a good cleaning, blew off the dust, and just wiped it down with a treated cloth before taking these photos. Not a whole lot of the original bluing left, no active rust, but a pretty fair bore. Actualy looks better than in the pictures. Also came with a brown leather holster, with cleaning rod and a spare magazine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev   Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev  

Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev   Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev  

Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev  

?

Default Re: Vietnam Captured TT-33 Tokarev

Nice little toy. They shoot nice .Gary

Thanks Gary. Own Polish, Romanian, and Yugo Tokarevs . All were recent imports, with added safeties. They all shot very well. With 7.62X25 ammo going for so litttle (picked up several cases of 2520 rounds delivered for $200 each) I do shoot these pistols alot. They are very reliable, accurate and fun! The best of the lot in my opinion is the Yugo M57. Very high quality, especially the first class safety they installed on the M57 to meet the U.S. import requirements. Surprised these Yugos can still be picked up for less than $275, with spare magazine, cleaning rod and holster. An unsung fine surplus pistol, that can still be found on the market.A great deal of pistol for the money! Have yet to shoot the TT-33, but sure I will not be disappointed.

They have a Browning Hi Power/Colt 1911 look. Have they any JM Browning influence?

Though the Soviets will not admit it, this is a copy of our 1911. Tokarev did improve on the design without a doubt. Fewer parts, a unique removable hammer/trigger group, and easier & cheaper to manufacture. Still a Browning tilting breach link inspired design copy, admittingly a good one. They served very well!

^^^ That sounds familiar lol^^^^ Bit like Mikhail Kalashnikov denying that the sturmgewher influenced the AK47. Much the same thing he just took the design and simplified it, they even look kind of similar. That's a very nice example you got there, the best of luck with it!

Have a chance to purchase original brand new old stock (1950's) CCCP marked grips for this Tokarev. Should I leave the right grip that is missing a chunk, or while I have the chance replace them for $18 plus shipping from Russia?

Personally I would leave the original grip plates in place. I thought that the star picked out in red paint was interesting too.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, Found out no Tokarev left the factory, with the red enhanced (painted) star. Figured some previous owner ( a fervent Communist, or proud GI) must have taken his or her(1 in 7 Viet Cong were women according to PBS Vietnam series) time trying to have that Red star stand out. The job is very well done. Have been building and painting WW2 1/32 figures for quite some time. The ammount of detail painting the stars on the grips is very good. The center pivot rivot, and the grips themselves have no red paint on them at all. Only the star has been painted, a very steady hand and good eye indeed! Would never get rid of the grips, just wondered if replacing them with better condition ones( while they still can be had) would be smart?

I think I would only replace them as a tempoary measure at best if the gun was uncomfortable to shoot with the chipped one in place.

At $18 they are worth having just for the hell of it!

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast