Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

walther p38 questions

Article about: i picked this up today, i dont know much about guns at all... but i do know its a walther p38 and it has 1973 stamped on the underside of the barrel, lower end, and top half, it also has an

dbale
    ?

Default walther p38 questions

i picked this up today, i dont know much about guns at all... but i do know its a walther p38 and it has 1973 stamped on the underside of the barrel, lower end, and top half, it also has an eagle stamped on the side of the top end too... can anyone tell me how old this is and is it a pretty common weapon or is it rare to have one with all matching numbers? thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions  walther p38 questions 

Default Re: walther p38 questions

very nice Mauser!
    (byf = Mauser )
    43 = 1943 ,
    1973 is a serial number

the eagle with the number 135 is a Military Proof Marks attributed to Mauser firm .

the mauser product in 1943 165,000 P-38 ( 9mm)

dbale,
    It is hard to tell if your pistol has the original finish.If the "F" is red and the"S" is white that is a good sign.If notThe holster is post war which is not a good sign that you have an unmolested pistol.Some better pics may yield a better opinion,as I have some experience with these pistols.Only original finish pistols are worth collector value.
    P.S.The F & S tend to be slightly over painted on these byf pistols.Here are a couple of byf P.38's with the original finish.The serial #'s and markings are colored with white grease pen to highlight
    Regards,
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture walther p38 questions  

dbale

you have an original Nazi P38 made in 1943 by Mauser Werk

I also owned one with the same maker markings as yours, but the slide broke after firing a few magazines one day at the range, I would recommend these more as collectors pieces, not for regular shooting at the range.

I used mine as a shooter and shot it regularly and after 2,000 rds my slide broke! I have also heard the same story from other P38 owners and they also experienced a broken slide after around 1500 - 2500 rds

the WWII P38's have a reputation for slides breaking / cracking usually near the locking lug area.

[QUOTE=battle gear;78434]dbale

Hello Battlegear,
    I am not sure from the pictures that this gun retains it's "original" war time finish.Many P.38's have been refinished post war.Refinished pistols are worth about half of an original gun.Many guns were either reblued or "dipped".
    I am sorry to hear your P.38 cracked a slide.I am curious what type of ammo you were shooting.Regular modern ammo is too strong IMHO.I use Federal American Eagle plinking ammo or Winchester USA.These loads are very "light".I also don't shoot my matching original finish guns as to preserve their value.
    Regards,
    Jason

[QUOTE=Jason L;78454]
    Quote by battle gear View Post
    dbale

Hello Battlegear,
    I am not sure from the pictures that this gun retains it's "original" war time finish.Many P.38's have been refinished post war.Refinished pistols are worth about half of an original gun.Many guns were either reblued or "dipped".
    I am sorry to hear your P.38 cracked a slide.I am curious what type of ammo you were shooting.Regular modern ammo is too strong IMHO.I use Federal American Eagle plinking ammo or Winchester USA.These loads are very "light".I also don't shoot my matching original finish guns as to preserve their value.
    Regards,
    Jason
    hello Jason,

I was using regular 9mm ball from WALMART in the 100 rd boxes made by Winchester, thats what I normally used in my P38

[QUOTE=battle gear;78580]
    Quote by Jason L View Post

hello Jason,

I was using regular 9mm ball from WALMART in the 100 rd boxes made by Winchester, thats what I normally used in my P38
    Battle Gear,
    A nice set of Wolff recoil springs should eliminate this problem for shooters
    Wolff Gunsprings Manufactures springs for modern and vintage firearms, guns, hammer, pistols, handguns, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, semiautomatic, accessories, weapons, law enforcement, hunting, shooting, recoil, colt, mainsprings, magazines, IPSC
    This is the "hot setup" for P.38 shooters.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Chris Newport
    ?

Re the P-38:

I have a problem with my post war P-1. I had to put a new locking block in and it seems to have affected the gun's reliability. The is a bit of lateral play with it. On occasion the slide will return !/4 " short of its proper place. Ive been told that this part is fitted to a particular pistol and may not work in others; that sounds very un German to me. Any one have any ideas?