Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Walther's PP, PPK & P38

Article about: Hi all! I am thinking of buying a deactivated German handgun for my SS display and was thinking of a P38 initially but I was wondering, I know the German forces used the PPK but what about t

?

Default Walther's PP, PPK & P38

Hi all! I am thinking of buying a deactivated German handgun for my SS display and was thinking of a P38 initially but I was wondering, I know the German forces used the PPK but what about the PP. I was thinking of getting a PP if not a P38 but not sure if they were used extensively during the war, Particularly by the SS? Also if they were what were more common the wood/brown grips or black? and what was correct magazine type I see some with a flat bottom and some with a larger shaped mag base. Any help appreciated thanks! Cheers, Sean.

?

Hi, the mag with the large base is the grip extension that adds comfort for a larger hand and much more expensive and harder to find. The p38 with black Bakelite grips were on s/42 marked p38's manufactured by Mauser, if memory serves correct.

The Lugers with black grips are typically known as "black widows" by many, but I don't know if that term is also applied to the p-38 or other pistols. I have been wanting a Luger and/or P-38 for ever now..I almost traded a Colt 38. "Official police" issue revolver made in 1934 in minty condition for a S/42 mauser p38 with the black grips and holster in mint shape, but that fell through, unfortunately..

Thanks,
    Dean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Walther's PP, PPK & P38   Walther's PP, PPK & P38  

Walther's PP, PPK & P38  

Quote by Dean View Post
    ... a S/42 mauser p38 with the black grips and holster in mint shape ...

Thanks,
    Dean.
    I'm confused. Are you referencing a Luger/P.08 or a Walther P.38? Mauser-produced P.38s are marked "byf" (or "svw" late in the war) but they were not marked/coded "S/42"; that is a code Mauser used on their early P.08s and K98ks. (If it matters, the pistol in your photograph is a byf-marked P.38.)