Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Wanted, Help, Releasing, Mannlicher Model, 1905

Article about: Decided to shoot my 1905 Mannlicher pistol after finally getting ammo for it. Pulled back the slide and it would not release forward. Would some one who knows how to release the slide please

?

Default Wanted, Help, Releasing, Mannlicher Model, 1905

Decided to shoot my 1905 Mannlicher pistol after finally getting ammo for it. Pulled back the slide and it would not release forward. Would some one who knows how to release the slide please let me know how this is done. I have loaded the magazine with 10 rounds and it will still not go forward. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Default Re: Wanted, Help, Releasing, Mannlicher Model, 1905

Hi Samnev, welcome to the Forum.

Obvously, each round should be able to be pushed out ouf the magazine
    into the chamber by the force of the slide. The only thing I can think of
    is that the mag has too many rounds in it, and there too much
    upward pressure on the lips of the magazine.

I believe it should only hold 8.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I looked this problem up online and found this thread Steyr Mannlicher 1905 where the original poster seems to have the same problem with the same gun.

There were two answers that seemed to work for the poster on this thread:

"You have to depress the magazine follower. When gun goes empty it stays open so it can be reloaded with a stripper clip. It's been awhile since I handled one but I think there is a release lever thingy that depresses the mag follower. If you use finger to depress follower hold the bolt back and ease forward to prevent smashing finger."

and

"At least with mine, you need to depress the magazine follower and while making sure to hold onto the slide, depress the hammer back alittle, it will allow the slide to go forward, which you'll want to control with your hand. The small lever retracts a bar that keeps the ammo in the magazine. Hope that helps."

Hope there's something you can use there... I know yours is loaded and this one is empty, but that reference to the small lever and bar seems to relate to a loaded gun too.

Rob

Found this little snippet on loading these pistols too:

Because of this cam hold-open, the pistol does not close when the clip is removed. However, drawing back slightly on the breechblock will ride it over the cam, and releasing it will permit the recoil spring to close the action.

Rob

?

Thanks to Rob and Steve who were kind enough to reply to my post. You were both right right. There was only in the magazine. I got it finally closed. I was doing everything correctly except tipping the hammer back while retracting the slide. I put one round in the magazine to depress the follower down then pull back on the slide while tipping the hammer back. It was a bear to retract the slide but finally got it back. The slide moved forward (with the safety on) clambering the round. Then had to retract the slide a few times to get the round out. Slide is now closed. I think i'll just give up shooting it as I don't want to go through this again and I have plenty of other oldies but goodies to shoot.

I guess the 'small lever' ( slide release ? ) has a lot to do with it ?
    I'm not familiar with these guns.........

This is odd to me, since the normal functioning of an auto pistol
    usually requires only one, or very few steps to chamber
    a round - It's not supposed to be complicated !

Still, I'd shoot a few clips through it just to see how it performs !

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I guess the 'small lever' ( slide release ? ) has a lot to do with it ?
    I'm not familiar with these guns.........

This is odd to me, since the normal functioning of an auto pistol
    usually requires only one, or very few steps to chamber
    a round - It's not supposed to be complicated !

Still, I'd shoot a few clips through it just to see how it performs !
    Steve,
    I am not familiar with these pistols either. I collect automatics from the 1896 broom handle onward and this one really had me stumped. You mention a small lever. I could not find the lever as the slide is supposed to go forward with a round in the magazine by just pulling back the slide. That's why I loaded the weapon first. But the slide would not go forward that way. Thanks again to all for the help.
    Sam