Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Weapon Found K98k, VZ24 or G24(t) ?

Article about: Hey guys i found a Weapon in my new House can anyone help me to get some Information about the Weapon ? (Sorry for my bad English) Greetings Organer

a great find.

MAP
    ?

Thanks for moving this Matt!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is a mismatched bolt, and the bolt itself has a mismatched safety.
    Under the sight it says either "Hege" or perhaps "Liege."
    I don't think this is an import stamp - but could be wrong.
    Not sure if you are in the US or Europe, so cannot speculate on how it got where it is.
    Also looks like the stock has been refinished - but again, closer pics would be necessary.
    It looks like civilian proofs on the barrel though, so maybe a cigarette (parts/trade) rifle that was restocked?
    It's marked 8x57JS (Mauser) , which uses a 0.323" but, if I am not wrong shouldn't be loaded as hot as later 8x57 ammunition.

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    It is a mismatched bolt, and the bolt itself has a mismatched safety.
    Under the sight it says either "Hege" or perhaps "Liege."
    I don't think this is an import stamp - but could be wrong.
    Not sure if you are in the US or Europe, so cannot speculate on how it got where it is.
    Also looks like the stock has been refinished - but again, closer pics would be necessary.
    It looks like civilian proofs on the barrel though, so maybe a cigarette (parts/trade) rifle that was restocked?
    It's marked 8x57JS (Mauser) , which uses a 0.323" but, if I am not wrong shouldn't be loaded as hot as later 8x57 ammunition.
    Im from Germany.
    What Part of The weapon you Need closer pics ?

Hi Organer - Not sure I can tell you much more about your rifle.
    How fun to find it! - although, I hope you won't be compromised legally with it.
    Anyway that is your concern - exciting find, I am sure you did a thorough check of every other potential hiding spot after that find - maybe a metal detector pass of your grounds, and walls, too.

A g/k98 expert may be able to zero in on the probable date of assembly, etc, but it's not me.

Glück und sich aus Schwierigkeiten

Pit.

MAP
    ?

Pitfighter: Your eyes are better than mine. I read it as MEGE, but I think you are correct with it being HEGE. As noted, was looking at it with a cell phone LoL.

And yes a miss mash of parts, but interesting. While not the same, I have a number of Carcano's that are cigarette rifles that cost next to nothing...after picking them up, I thought better of attempting to shoot them.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

NO EXPERT The flat sight leaf and the stock branding look like rifles used during the days of the Weimar Republic Look up some Mauser dedicated websites and be awed by the diversity of these rifles

Hello, I think that the maker marking on the receiver has been removed, what a pity! The bolt with straight handle looks strange to me for one K 98, so I'm sure it has been replaced, not its own original. Can you tell us if barrel and stock have the same serial numbers?Hand grips on the stock make me think immediately the rifle could be one Mauser "standard modell"

Bob07
    ?

Hi!

I think it´s a Gewehr 98 or G98 because of the 8x57JS marking and the straight bolt handle.

"Hege" is a German Dealer marking, it was probably refurbished and sold by Hege (by the thousands!)

Mismatched while it was refurbished because it was intended for target shooting, not as a Collectors Item. They where quite cheap back in the day if i recall correctly, about 250 DM or so.

The second gun on the last Picture is an Semiautomatic Erma EGM1, a .22 caliber clone of the U.S. M1 Carbine.
    The third one is probably a .22 single shot rifle as well from the looks of it.

If you are from Germany, you can get a whole lot of problems from finding them so it would be best to search some german gun enthusiast boards like "waffen online" for information on gun laws and finding guns.... If they where hidden somewhere in the house, they are possibly illegal, either bought before Registration came into effect in Germany or they where smuggled in from surrounding countries like Austria where gun laws are less strict, but a lot of german weapons are available because it was a good export market for german dealers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2