Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Webley Pryse?

Article about: Hello guys, i have just came across the revolver pictured below. I have identified it as Webley Pryse revolver, could anyone please confirm? I am for sure not an expert in British revolvers!

?

Default Webley Pryse?

Hello guys,

i have just came across the revolver pictured below.

I have identified it as Webley Pryse revolver, could anyone please confirm? I am for sure not an expert in British revolvers!

However, the more important thing is - when do you thing this little beauty was produced? In the Czech Republic where I live it is possible to purchase any firearm manufactured before 1890 without the necessity to obtain any permission. => I would like to be sure that this one was made before 1890 so that I could legally buy it as a gift to my father (who is not a firearms license holder). Clearly, the declaration of the seller that it is pre-1890 is not sufficient for me.

Thank you for any hints!

If you need more pictures for identification, I can post them.

A.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Webley Pryse?  

Default Re: Webley Pryse?

Heres a link that might be able to help answering this question: Webley Revolver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hope this helps

Hi Arez, I am not 100% certain that is what you have but I am certainly no expert!

Compare with here:

Collector's Firearms

I see several differences in detail.

You were right to ask as you really need expert advice on this. Buying any firearm is a serious business and should not be taken to chance.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    Heres a link that might be able to help answering this question: Webley Revolver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hope this helps
    hi, thank you for the link but I would say that "my" revolver is none of those the typical Webleys Mk.I-IV. and that it is a little different type. If you look closely it has certain differences from the typical Webley, so the research will be a little more difficult...

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Arez, I am not 100% certain that is what you have but I am certainly no expert!

Compare with here:

Collector's Firearms

I see several differences in detail.

You were right to ask as you really need expert advice on this. Buying any firearm is a serious business and should not be taken to chance.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade,

I have seen quite a lot of very similar ones, but none of them exactly the same...

e.g.

Collector's Firearms

Collector's Firearms

WEBLEY PRYSE : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Webley Pryse Engraved .380 D.A. Revolver

and so on...

So it is difficult to say what type exactly it is and when it was manufactured, or more precisely when its production ceased.

Any information much appreciated!

I think this is the African model, The Pryse commenced production in 1876 and possibly ended in 1880 or 82. So Ithink you will be OK, especially if there is no date on it.

?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I think this is the African model, The Pryse commenced production in 1876 and possibly ended in 1880 or 82. So Ithink you will be OK, especially if there is no date on it.
    Thank you very much!

I have too found the information about 1876/7 as the year when the production was commenced, but no information as to when they ended it..

Do you have any idea about the worth of the piece? The links above show prices that to me seem quite shocking. However I am not sure this is based on reality and is applicable on the one I was offered? Thank you!