Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Webley & Scott Mk.1N Autopistol

Article about: I just received this Webley & Scott Mk.1N pistol, after about 10 years of looking for one! Built in 1914 for the Royal Navy, it's chambered in the semi-rimmed .455 Auto round. It's a ver

?

Default Webley & Scott Mk.1N Autopistol

I just received this Webley & Scott Mk.1N pistol, after about 10 years of looking for one! Built in 1914 for the Royal Navy, it's chambered in the semi-rimmed .455 Auto round. It's a very neat, very unique pistol - the mainspring is actually a massive V spring under the grip, which as far as I know is unique to Webley & Scott autos. These were used by the Royal Navy, and another version with adjustable sights and detachable stock by the Royal Horse Artillery, before being passed to the Royal Air Force when it was initially formed. By all accounts, they were quite reliable and accurate, though they're notorious for breaking the grips when shot.

Mine's in just good external condition, but it's tight and has a good shootable bore. It also came with 3 mags, which is interesting on a gun that was only issued with one! It's a big gun - I pictured it next to British-contract Colt 1911 (also in .455 Auto), but the picture didn't really bring out the sheer bulk of the thing.

Default Re: Webley & Scott Mk.1N Autopistol

Very nice Mk.1 never had one in my hands before. Also like your 1911 aswell Congrats.
    Can .455 ammo still be found?

ERIC

Hello-I have seen and handled a couple of these-point of balance is very much where the pistol grip is located-difficult to find in very good nick-good find!

PS -King George VI had one during WW2 as his personal weapon.

Simply beautiful! Repro grips are available if you want to shoot it.

?

Thanks! .455 Auto ammo isn't available, but brass can be found (or made yourself) converted from .45 Colt casings. I do actually have a set of repro grips already that I never got around to converting to use on my W & S 1910 .38 auto.

That's really interesting info about George VI - I suppose he did serve in the Royal Navy during WW1 so he'd have been familiar with it. Where did you learn that?

Hello Nyles-there are a number of photos of HM the King both range practice shooting the Webley Auto and wearing it holstered in the uniform of army Field Marshal (his nominal rank as monarch) but I don't have any copies-a search on the internet would probably turn up something on this.

aubrey16753
    ?

Hi Nyles,
    Very nice find, I have a love for these old turn of the century relics. I know a dealer who has one of similar condition for sale that I have been interested in but unfortunately it has no magazine.
    Would you be interested in selling one of your 3 magazines for a fair price in order to complete this old beauty, if so please let me know.