Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Well, not sure what I've got here.

Article about: I agree with Pit on this one. Lucky find Cody. I have only seen pictures of these a long time ago. I knew a man a long time ago that was in a unit that went into hunting clubs and did battle

Default Well, not sure what I've got here.

Hello Everyone:

This rifle came into my shop a few days ago as a transfer gun to an individual. He called me late in our hours and said that he "didn't want to get it" and asked if we would buy it from him. So, I said sure and now its in my shop. He didn't ask more than a $200 for the rifle.. Not sure if it was a hit or miss but I do like the optics and thought, "hey, what the heck why not?"

So here we are with the German Rifle, looks to be a 98 Mauser action. The optics are labeled Sirius G "4x42" but other than that I dont know much about this rifle. Caliber is Unknown, which isn't going to be fun figuring out. I dont think its an 8

I have no idea what and where this thing came from.

Scope worth anything?

Thanks
    Cody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Well, not sure what I've got here.   Well, not sure what I've got here.  

Well, not sure what I've got here.   Well, not sure what I've got here.  

Not a bad rifle but it definitely isn't to the German military specifications. It was sporterized after the war and turned into a hunting rifle. Unfortunately I do not know the value on these.
    Thaddeus

I know that it is sporterized, I've got over 30 K98's at the moment but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the scope?

Thanks for your input!

Appears the Sirius scope is of German manufacture from what I have read online. Granted a bit vintage but sometimes worth more than we think. I notice th rifle has set triggers. May be 8MM caliber but I would definitely have gunsmith determine exact caliber. Worth a lot more than what you paid. Someone put a lot into it. Will try to locate more on scope concerning year made.

The only info i can find on Sirius sights on the net is the fact they are rare, the only sight i can find for sale is with a .22 hunting rifle on an auction site........ "456 Exceptional Pre-War Mauser Single Shot Bolt Action Rifle with Scope
    Start Price: 425.00High Bid: 1,500.00Estimate: 1,100.00 - 1,700.00
    This is a pre-war single shot Mauser sporting rifle. The left side of the receiver is marked with a crown "U" and "B" proof mark, followed by the serial number and "MAUSER WERKE A.G. OBERNDORF A.N.". The left rear of the barrel is marked with the matching serial number over "PATRONE 22 LONG RIFLE" and "459" and crown over "B", "G" and "U" proofs at the breech, and "D.R.P.D.R.G.M." on the right side. The top of the receiver is grooved for scope mounting and the rifle is equipped with a Sirius 4x42 scope with leather lens caps. Standard raised ramp, hooded front sight and rear tangent sight graduated to 200 meters and mounted with a one piece walnut stock with finger grooves in the forearm checkered pistol grip, flat steel buttplate and sling swivels. The right side of the buttstock is stamped with the Mauser banner. BBL: 26 1/2 inch round Stock: walnut Gauge: 22 LR Finish: blue Grips: Serial Number: 184962 Condition: Very fine. The rifle retains 98% original finish with some thinning on the muzzle and overall light handling marks. The stock is fine as lightly sanded and revarnished with a few scattered minor dings and dents. The scope is excellent with clear optics. Crisp and clear markings. The action is excellent."
    Last edited by Gunny Hartmann; 10-14-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks Gunny!

This will be an interesting project....

- - Updated - -

Thanks Gunny!

This will be an interesting project....

Nice piece you already know someone sportoritized a K98K post war scope looks like a German commercial scope of some sort however commercial scopes were used in both wars to Snipe with. timothy

This may be a cigarette rifle.

North Dakota Shooter,

Absolutely terrific - I wanted a cigarette rifle in the collection - this is a nice one, thank you.
    Sights are amazingly clear - I will look forward to doing further research on the proofs and maker.
    There were a lot of interesting details with this one in your original pics, I am not disappointed in person.
    I have avoided sporters at every turn, but this one is quite different to the sporters we usually encounter - has a lot of character, and was clearly put together by someone who knew what they were doing.

100% recommended, great sales rating for NDShooter - beautifully packaged.

The set trigger is very, very nice.

Pit.

I would place the scope in the $700 - $1000 + range all day. It may have been used prewar for hunting. The Factory in which this scope came from was destroyed in the war. That is what I can come up with through my research and knowledge. Therefore it's RARITY.
    Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast