What is the difference between a akm and ak47

Article about: Thanks ...

?

Default What is the difference between a akm and ak47

Thanks ...

Default Re: What is the difference between a akm and ak47

Quote by banksy View Post
    Thanks ...
    The AKM is basically and upgraded version of the AK-47 hence the letter "M" for "modernized" and its was designed to fire the same 7.62mmx39 round for uniformitys sake more than anything. The AKM was developed during the early 1950's and went into full scale production in 1959 if i remember right and the weapon is also 2.2lbs lighter than the AK-47. There are a number of notable technical improvements which did mean the weapon took longer to make in production than what an AK-47 would take. The Soviets had the habit of "gifting" production licences and design plans to friendly countries such as Iraq and Egypt so as these countries could produce their own AKM's-thus they are a very commonly found weapon with former warsaw pact countries. The AKMS is another variant with a folding metal stock in place of fixed wooden one on the AKM. If you would like to know each of the technical improvements go to google search and put in "Differences between the AK47 and AKM" and there should be a website that goes into all of the tech jargon. Hope this helps a little. Best Regards, Tim Heath.

The "M" in AKM stands for 'modified' (in Russian)-production started in 1959-main difference is that the receiver is stamped rather than a piece of milled steel-other minor changes, all to simplify production but the sights were graduated to 1000m instead of the '47s 800m. The performance is otherwise the same between the 2 versions.

ian
    ?

the AKM suffers from breach explosions due to poor manufacture ,and monkey metal , the ak 47 has no recorded breach explosions to my knowlage

Reg
    ?

The stocks are at a slightly different angle between the two also. . . Well, on the fixed stock version anyway. LOL

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is the difference between a akm and ak47  
    Last edited by Reg; 07-25-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Adding Pic

Another difference? The price!

Also, the two take different kinds of bayonets. I have a deactivated AKM, and both types of bayonet. This photo shows the two types: http://www.ak47bayonets.com/pic/2007...-23-07-003.jpg -The middle is the AKM, the bottom one is the AK-47. I own both kinds, and I love the design of the AKM's... it looks rather imposing.

Mat

There are many types/patterns of bayos for this family of rifles given the range of time and different countries involved in making them.

Reg
    ?

Oh, BTW, the AKM (on right) should have the scooped muzzle attachment to assist against muzzle climb shown on Mats photos whilst the AK does not.

An easy way to tell an AK47 from an AKM, is to look at the reciever just above the magazine housing. The AK has a long rectangular milled out section, while the AKM has just a small oval pressing.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    There are many types/patterns of bayos for this family of rifles given the range of time and different countries involved in making them.
    What I meant in my post was the two distinct types, the more traditional one of the AK-47, and the curved knife-style AKM bayonet (used on later Kalashnikov models). There are variations in them depending on country of origin (and date of manufacture presumably), but it's just these two types as far as I'm aware? Correct me if I'm wrong. Originally, I bought the AK-47 bayonet for my AKM assuming they were all interchangeable, but I was wrong there.

Mat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast