Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What kind of revolver is/was this?

Article about: Hello, Here's is a rusty old revolver I picked up at a market today, can anyone tell me what kind of a revolver this is? I don't have a clue but I'm leaning towards Webley, at the market whe

?

Default What kind of revolver is/was this?

Hello,

Here's is a rusty old revolver I picked up at a market today, can anyone tell me what kind of a revolver this is?

I don't have a clue but I'm leaning towards Webley, at the market where I picked it up the dealer reckoned it maybe a Lebel.

The overall measurements are 270mm in length and 150mm high.

Thanks
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of revolver is/was this?   What kind of revolver is/was this?  

What kind of revolver is/was this?   What kind of revolver is/was this?  

i think it used to be a british webley mark VI

?

Wow that was quick! Thanks very much.

I've just had a quick look online and it would appear they were used in WWI and WWII. It was found in what was the DDR so I wonder if they Red Army used them as well or if it was a German soldier's souvenir.

Tony

well it could be a british who left it there as you know both french british us and soviet troops where stationed in germany at the end of the war and you are most welcome glad to be of service

I dont think its a webley MkVI, though it looks similar. I'm more inclined towards one of the Webley Pryse types. There were lots of types of Webley revolver around in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

What kind of revolver is/was this?What kind of revolver is/was this?

here is a little overlapping paint session i had fun with trying to pin point characteristics and i still believe its a webley mark vi but hte little outgoing part on the hammer made me think about the 38 but then i saw an irregularity in the way it sloped towards the handle and thought that it could just be decay so i stick by my webley mark vi theory but i am in no way an expert this is just my opinion of the matter lets wait for more knowleadgeable experts on the field gets their say (red lines is theory lines)

its not a Lebel that's for sure.

yes and i still believe its a mark vi it was only the bottom of the hammer showing that led me to even consider the tanker pistol but then i saw forementioned irregularity in the metal and thought it must be decay and rust that has eaten the covering part so i am in no way suggesting this would be a 38 it was just that the bottom of the hammer that made me think of it but i think i have stumbled across a new exciting theory (though a bit far fetched) What kind of revolver is/was this? if you look at the part under the barrel on the ground dug one and then on the xray pic of the enfield mk 2 you can see that its a part there that could have been exposed by rust, anyways just a thought. regards

google for Webley Pryse. That one comes very near.

Cheers,
    Emile

Yes, it is especially notable that the relic revolver lacks the holster guides (seen here on my Webley .38) which is a feature of all 1st and 2nd world war Webleys. Assuming it is a Webley, (as I believe,) its pre WW1 as this feature is not found on earlier Webley's. It would be helpful to know the caliber of the revolver. Is it .38, .455 or, less likely, something else?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of revolver is/was this?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast