Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

what are these ?

Article about: On my last trip to France a friend game me those and told me it was american but he told me that my canteen he game me was French and it ended up a medic german canteen . So i was checking t

Default what are these ?

On my last trip to France a friend game me those and told me it was american but he told me that my canteen he game me was French and it ended up a medic german canteen . So i was checking the marking on them on the link Steve gave and i am lost on there . Can you tell me what type and whatever you can tell me about them . they had to empty them all before i took the plane back home at that time .
    Thanks
    frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what are these ?   what are these ?  

what are these ?  

Default Re: what are these ?

German 7.92 caliber cartridges armor piercing

manufactured in 1938 by DeutscheWaffen- u. Munitionsfabriken A.G., Werk Karlsruhe, Durlach (faa)

I got all of this just by using the head stamp guide in this forum

Thanks Cobra
    As i was reading it too i wasn't sure if it was the right description as i do not know nothing about fire arms and ordnance . Now we know where they made them and the year but where were they used? in a carbine ( too big i think?) machine gun ? Thanks for the info !

Frenchy

the k98 rifle( standard bolt action rifle for the German military) mg34/42 (there general purpose machine guns)

Its ok if you don't know about ordnance Frenchy this is a great place to go for answers! I learn something new all the time from this forum, since those are armor piercing rounds I'm going to assume that they were probably linked up for use with the mg34/42,
    that's just from my experience.

cheers

Frenchy

Cobra is spot on with his information mate. German 7.92 standard rounds used in their rifles and MGs. The S* denotes a brass case which corresponds nicely with the year of manufacture, (as the war progressed they switched to plated steel cases due to a shortage of brass).

Steve T

Thanks to both of you again ! it's greatly appreciated the time it would have taken me to find out about them you save me time and gave me some more knowledge about another subject . your time and expertise are always appreciated.
    Frenchy

?

Hello
    Generally speaking, these cartridges are with Armor piercing tracer bullets loaded. In german :7,9mm S.m.K.- LĀ“Spur. ( Spitzgeschoss
    mit Kern- Leuchtspur) Pointed bullet with core and tracer, i.e.the black tip of bullet means tracer and red annulus of case, armor piercing. In this case P28 means manufacturer DWM A.G. , like Cobra stated. Later code was faa. S with asterisk means material of case ( 72% copper and 28% zinc). Manufacturing lot 3 and 38 manufacturing year.