Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What are these? 50 caliber Machine Gun Barrels??

Article about: Now I believe the barrels maybe from the Oerlikon KBA cannon which is similar to the Bushmaster in US service.

Default Re: What are these? 50 caliber Machine Gun Barrels??

Now I believe the barrels maybe from the Oerlikon KBA cannon which is similar to the Bushmaster in US service.

Are you saying these go together? THere is a date of Aug 1967 inside the one thing...Very confused?

The breech cyliner is from a rotary cannon like a mauser, it uses gas from the fired round to rotate the cyclinder via a slide and camm. The 2 barrel ends appear to be from a Oerlikon KBA cannon (Perhaps from a paired mount) from a Anti Aircraft gun or light armoured vehicle like a APC. So not from the same gun unfortunatly.

Could it be 30mm MK 103?
    30 mm MK 103 (Maschinenkanone 103)

Ok, I've IDd the breech cylinder as being from a Pontiac M39A3 20mm Revolving Cannon which was used in the F5 Freedom fighter. Its based on a WW2 German Mauser design.

Factsheets : 20mm Revolving Cannon

Thanks so much...I'm not sure what I am going to do with these. Pretty heavy. They were all being used as door stops in a house that went into forclosure. They look nice in our antique shop!!!! Glad I know what they are.....Thanks again...

?

I was thinking they were from the Hercules or puff the magic dragon

The Oerlikon KBA was fitted to M113 recon/troop carriers until replaced by the Browning .50 cal. BMG. The Dutch Army still uses it on some of theirs and the Aussies used to as well, but they may have stopped by now, I can't remember I'm afraid...

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	210739  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12