Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Winchester M97 trench gun, M1A1 carbine, M1911A1 Colt – my U.S. collection favourites.

Article about: M97, my favorite shotgun of all time. I have shot one and they are cool. One of the few where you can hold the trigger and pump away

Default Re: Winchester M97 trench gun, M1A1 carbine, M1911A1 Colt – my U.S. collection favourites.

just me when i was with the 101st,2/502 scouts /sniper,,,,,and me with my 460 s&w magnum

?

Default Re: Winchester M97 trench gun, M1A1 carbine, M1911A1 Colt – my U.S. collection favourites.

Is that a S&W 500 on the right?

Never mind. Did not see your post... 460

460 is a 1nch smaller than the 500,460 has the 3 vent sides on the compenstor,as the 500 dont,,i have both of them,,,

?

Yes i never noticed those vents on a S&W 500, but you never know. Of course you have both, You're from the Lone Star state

yep in texas we can have just about anything as long you got a lic,from semis to automatics,how about russia,,hey i was reading about a russian millenair he came to los vegas nv and paid 9mill plus us dollars for 3 hitlers cars ,,are thay on display over there

?

In post 19 Scout asked about something that I had posted on the Gunboards Forum some time ago regarding the provenance of the M1911A1 Colt rig which I bought from the Vets family in 2004.
    The Vet was a civilian pilot that enlisted in RAF Ferry Command and delivered aircraft all over the world.
    -------------------------------------
    “The U.S. was still a neutral country, so word went out through the “aviation grapevine” about a secret operation based in Montreal that needed experienced civilian pilots.

They offered an irresistible combination- a vital and important job, the chance to fly the latest aircraft, and a very large paycheck.

This attracted a rowdy bunch of airline pilots, barnstormers, crop-dusters and daredevils---men used to danger and risk. But nothing could prepare them for the treacherous winter skies over the North Atlantic Ocean, that in 1940 no one dared to fly.

Before the U.S. had even entered the war, American pilots comprised over half of the civilian pilots that flew the experimental Ferry Command routes.”

It appears that Capt. G.S. Tobin was one of these U.S. pilots.
    Gilbert Shepard Tobin (the vet) died on August 17th 1977;...he was originally from Verona, N.J.

This is a shortened version of that presentation.

The Vet is on the right in this photo.

This is some of his stuff.

The aircraft that he flew.

These were the routes that Ferry Command flew delivering aircraft.

A mission to deliver ammunition in advance of the Battle of El-Alamein.

Photo caption.

“The campaign in North Africa as we well remember had many ups and downs and during one of the “downs” we were called to fly in great haste, a large quantity of ammunition required for the stand at El-Alamein.
    A large fleet of Liberators took over this work and this group picture is of one of the crews that operated them.”

His Pilot's Fying Log Book.

Some of the markings on his rig which was a mix of WWI and WWII pieces.

The two links below give some background on Ferry Command for they that are interested.

Clayton Knight Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VanDerKloot Film & Television

David
    Last edited by drm3m; 04-09-2012 at 02:01 AM.

?

Quote by sniperjohn View Post
    yep in texas we can have just about anything as long you got a lic,from semis to automatics,how about russia,,hey i was reading about a russian millenair he came to los vegas nv and paid 9mill plus us dollars for 3 hitlers cars ,,are thay on display over there
    I can try and research it. Gun laws here are kind of strange. But better than in Denmark where i am from. One gotta have a license, but they can be bought. Lic for 12 gauge and other smooth bore is not too expensive.

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by drm3m View Post
    In post 19 Scout asked about something that I had posted on the Gunboards Forum some time ago regarding the provenance of the M1911A1 Colt rig which I bought from the Vets family in 2004.
    The Vet was a civilian pilot that enlisted in RAF Ferry Command and delivered aircraft all over the world.
    -------------------------------------
    “The U.S. was still a neutral country, so word went out through the “aviation grapevine” about a secret operation based in Montreal that needed experienced civilian pilots.

They offered an irresistible combination- a vital and important job, the chance to fly the latest aircraft, and a very large paycheck.

This attracted a rowdy bunch of airline pilots, barnstormers, crop-dusters and daredevils---men used to danger and risk. But nothing could prepare them for the treacherous winter skies over the North Atlantic Ocean, that in 1940 no one dared to fly.

Before the U.S. had even entered the war, American pilots comprised over half of the civilian pilots that flew the experimental Ferry Command routes.”

It appears that Capt. G.S. Tobin was one of these U.S. pilots.
    Gilbert Shepard Tobin (the vet) died on August 17th 1977;...he was originally from Verona, N.J.

This is a shortened version of that presentation.

The Vet is on the right in this photo.

This is some of his stuff.

The aicraft that he flew.

These were the routes that Ferry Command flew delivering aircraft.

A mission to deliver ammunition in advance of the Battle of El-Alamein.

Photo caption.

“The campaign in North Africa as we well remember had many ups and downs and during one of the “downs” we were called to fly in great haste, to deliver a large quantity of ammunition required for the stand at El-Alamein.
    A large fleet of Liberators took over this work and these group pictures are of (some of) the crews that operated them.”

His Pilot's Fying Log Book.

Some of the markings on his rig which was a mix of WWI and WWII pieces.

The two links below give some background on Ferry Command for they that are interested.

Clayton Knight Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VanDerKloot Film & Television

David
    That is a sweet 1911

Excellent weaponry...The M1911A1 sure is a sight for sore eyes, the story behind it and all...The P-08 is amazing...
    Best regards, Thanos.

Very nice collection, I have a garand and a carbine and I shoot them regularly but they are not "collector grade"
    -Ben

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast