Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Article about: Here if this works? is a photo my a German Mauser Sniper variant that I purchased some 15 years ago. It will be literally one of the mintest Mausers you will feat your eyes on. It has a 25 r

Default Re: World premier viewing of my super rare German Mauser Rifle variant.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So will the original poster of this thread please tell us more about the story behind this rifle and maybe post some close up pics of any markings or scope mounts for this sniper rifle.
    I would like to post more close-up photos but--I dont currently have a camera-nor access to my rifle since its in storage at my Nephews home. Im going to see if he or another Nephew--can take more photos of it for me? I tried last year but--the Nephew that has my rifle--works for the Oil Refinery industry here and is always working out of State.

PS, thanks to all you gents who like this rifle and as well as for any info posted. Im looking for anything I can get on this beauty. One thing I just remembered--is that I saw a photo of a Fallschirmjager--that was printed in the Storming Eagles book, and ita a grainy photo but--I think the FJ to the extreme left of the group--might be holding a rifle like mine--but is hard to tell.

?

Thanks History buff for your reply about my request for pic's. You did mention the story behind this rifle, Could you tell us more about it's history?One more question If you don't mind. How do you know that it has Exactly 50 rounds thru it since it was made?
    Thanks
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I am really looking forward to the rest of the story!

Hi Phil, as was told by me by the WWII Vet and the Mauser dealer I bought it from. I also used to have documented paperwork proving it too--but as I have moved some five times since then-I no longer know where that paperwork is. From memory though, the Mauser Museum Curator in Oberndorf in 1945--gave this info (why I dont know? ) to the G.I. who "liberated" the rifle saying that he (the museum curator) got the rifle when built and it had only 25 rounds fired through it by that time. The Curator placed it into the collections to stay there till the G.I. who nabbed the rifle. That G.I. said he fired 20 rounds through it during his ownership-firing the rifle only on one occasion. That accounts for 45 rounds fired. Mr. Schmidt (the Mauser dealer I bought it from who used to have a gun shop in Houston, Texas) told em he fired only 5 rounds through it and cleaned the weapon and placed it in one of his gun safes for storage. That's 50 rounds. Myself--ive never fired a round through it but intend to do so before it gets traded or sold IF--I ever decide to do so? ;-)) Anyway, the sworn statements that the WWII Vet and the gun dealer was certified and was given to me--but like I sy--I no longer know where that paperwork is or even if I still have it? due to moving house 5 times since then. I moved often because I was then-in Law Enforcement.

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    I am really looking forward to the rest of the story!
    Your wish is my command Sire ;-)) Ill be posting the info as exactly given to me by then USMC Historian: Dieter Stenger.

From Dieter and not part of the info he found. "The rifle you have, based on what the article said, is super rare. Apparently people know of it, but there are no photos (till mine here) of actual collectors pieces. Here is the article and a good translation from the German.""

The Mauser M-98 w/ Large Capacity Magazine.

Once the "rate-of-fire" had a decisive impact at Infantry level engagements, it was found that a somewhat encumbering stripper-clip loaded 5-round magazine did not always suffice for every situation.

During the inter-war period, the solution was found in lengthening the magazine after the original magazine cover was removed and configured in its place. Through this modification, the G-98 had a higher magazine capacity of 25 rounds, although it required loading by way of conventional method. The lengthened magazine, however, was impractical when firing from the prone position.

The outcry for a quickly changeable and higher capacity magazine (more than 5-rounds) was quickly heard after the onset of WWII. Studies and experiments conducted by the Heeres-Waffenamt, albeit the net result were a few experimental models. Several examples with the large capacity magazines are circulating in collector circles; however, all magazines are of well-known automatic weapon origination. The magazine configurations in carbine (K-98) were improvised or field expedient modifications. No one has been able to offer original documentation for the modifications.

The only authentication for the modification was found in the Waffenamt Device Protocol of April 1944. It depicted one example, built and modified by a Mauser firm, of a 10-round removable magazine that was attached to a modified carbine (K-98) designed for experiments with a sniper scope.

As early as March 1942 the question about a removable magazine had been addressed by way of a letter from the Army General Staff to the Department of the Army (Heeresamt). "Unit requests for a weapon with a higher than 5-round capacity magazine (removable magazine) is expected. However, the requisition of such a magazine would place the greatest pressure on an already over-burdened industry and delay the current developments for the completion of a semi-automatic weapon (MP-43/STG-44) and a proposed machine carbine (G-43). Since both these weapons already have a more than 5-round capacity, it is unproductive to produce yet another removable magazine."

Some experimental models may have found their way to the Russian (Eastern Front) where they fell into Soviet hands. More than likely, the weapons were sold to the NVA & VC to assist in fighting the Americans during Vietnam. (((I know this to be true because the Author who wrote the book: "Mausers fo the World" was a Nam combat vet who shot the VC sniper who had a rifle like mine and had it shown in his book))).

Dieter then suggested to me to contact Richard Law--who wrote the 2 volume series: "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" so he could get a photo of my rifle. However, I was never aboe to get a contact address for Richard Law untill it was too late and he had passed away.

Forgot to mention that I received this info back on: March 30, 2001. Since then--ive found out absolutely nothing else about this rifle.

Fascinating. I want to hear more, though. Please.

?

Thanks History Buff your replies, The info you provided is very interesting and it must be an awesome feeling owning such a peice of Mauser history.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast