Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine

Article about: Prices for these should be considerably less than 200 dollars. The main question is what are you going to use it for? do you want a shooter or a precise WW2 example? The answer to that will

Question WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine

Is there anything wrong with this rifle? I am not sure but it looks ok.

The serial number near the date looks like it matches the but-plate, but why does it look like a k98 russian capture, etched- number? (the same thing on the floor plate)

(why are the serial numbers etched and not stamped into the metal)

Many Thanks
    (I have never had a ww2 russian gun)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine   WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  

Attached Images Attached Images WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine 

Default Re: WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine

It looks ok to me. Are there import marks on it? That might be why those numbers are etched. I'm sure one of the guy's will be able to tell you better. Lot's o knowledge on here.

It's not mine... I might buy it

?

It probably shows that it was reconditioned at some point. New parts getting the quick electro cut numbers to match the reciever 's number.

?

If you notice on the bottom of the magazine there are the remains of the serial number that is different from the one on the barrel or barrel/reciever that they renumbered the gun from. Many guns esp. Russian guns were arsenal redone renumbered and stored for the next use.

?

If you also notice the fit of the metal and wood is off which is another sign of rebuild from parts or reconditioning is more accurate. If it has a good bore it might make a good shooter. Have the headspacing checked by a gunsmith before shooting to be safe.

The company I might buy this from also has one for the same price with matching numbers. (but it is in worse condition)

The stock on this one is that of a post war replacement M44 carbine. If you look at the right hand side it has a grove cut into the top to accommodate the bayonet. As the others have said this is just a reconditioned M38 as almost all were. It is very hard to find an original Mosin Nagant in the US that has not been reconditioned. I'd say it’s a $130-$160 gun depending on who you get it from. If you’re lucky you can get one for less. Also watch out for the M91/59 carbines. They look like the M38 but are cut down from M91/30. You can spot these by the rear sight; it is the same as the M91/30 and is not short like the M38. These are very fun guns to shoot good luck with getting a good one.

Quote by Lt. Martin View Post
    The company I might buy this from also has one for the same price with matching numbers. (but it is in worse condition)
    What company? What price?

Here is the second one (1942) that has matching numbers. (is it post-war put together?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine   WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  

WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine   WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  

Attached Images Attached Images WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine  WW II Soviet M38 Moisin-Nagant Carbine 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast