The elevation gearbox worked perfectly, except the 95 year old grease had long since dried up. A good washing and a thorough repacking will ensure it will be good for the next time somebody opens this little time capsule
A new pan was fabricated after the old one was carefully removed and returned to the legion
Rivets close to original were found, and a tool was made to fit in our air hammer. The original holes were used to fit the pan
new covers were fabricated for these small boxes near the front of the sled
new side panels were constructed. The original was missing on one side, the other side very rotten
After blasting, the rear legs were reconstructed using 1/4" x 1" mild steel, hand bent to fit inside the original channel. We chose to "box in" the legs where they were damaged, as it would be very costly to faithfully reproduce the channels, and obtain the strength required. The lower portions of both front legs were repaired in the same manner.
This shot shows how the original leather pad supports are attached using button head bolts. The bolt hex will be welded up & ground smooth to replicate the original rivets
centre of rear legs
We chose to only slightly "fix" the dents that were a combination of vandalism and battle wounds. It was the most diffuclt decision, as to how far to "restore" the gun. We tried to leave the battle worn look, but still not leave it too battered looking.
here is the new box & pan
first time out in the sunlight before the painter took it
handles were spun out of white oak. Knurled brass handle tops replaced broken/missing steel ones. We KNOW that this deviates from original, but on display, it looks nice.
This guard was completely rusted through and the new fabrication was graciously engraved by ELITE Guage & Tool, here in Beamsville.
Although close to original in appearance, this muzzle flash arrestor was made with public safety in mind....No sharp edges, no place for a child's finger to catch, and nothing to tear clothing on. Because the muzzle was missing, I chose to comprimise.
The gun was then disassembled and sent for paint. it came back the WRONG colour. i got out my paintgun, and gave it another blast of paint with army green, then re-assembled it for a final coat. you can see all the spots I missed, and all the scratches from assembly over semi wet paint.
One more thing, I'd like to thank Mr Mark Finneran for his assistance & guidance when I first came here to the forum looking for help. His knowledge of availability of parts, and pricing led me in a direction I assumed, but he gave me the confidence to take on this project. He also cautioned me NOT to restore the gun, and I personally believe he is right, although this being a display, and as rough as it was, the choice had to be made to make it safe, and to preserve it for a few more years.