Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols

Article about: The three pistols are part of my very limited weapons collection. But all three have significance in the Air War over europe in WW1. The 1st is a Smith & Wesson 45 Cal Military issue whi

Default WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols

The three pistols are part of my very limited weapons collection. But all three have significance in the Air War over europe in WW1.

The 1st is a Smith & Wesson 45 Cal Military issue which was transferred to the British RFC and so marked with the broad arrow on the side and unit markings for 32 Squadron RFC rack number 132.

The second is a British Webley .455 Cal with lanyard and holster.

And the third is a French Pilots pistol that was recovered at the crash site by Lt. George Mills 68 Squadron RFC and sent home to his wife. Also recovered was the roundel off the side of the French aircraft. Lt. Mills marked the pistol on the side with his name and Squadron number. Lt. Mills was killed near Amiens in 1917.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols   WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols  

WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols   WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols  

WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols   WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols  

?

Default Re: WW1 US Smith & Wesson, British Webley and French Pilots Pistols

A very nice collection! Thanks for sharing the pics with us!

And the third is a French Pilots pistol that was recovered at the crash site by Lt. George Mills 68 Squadron RFC and sent home to his wife. Also recovered was the roundel off the side of the French aircraft. Lt. Mills marked the pistol on the side with his name and Squadron number. Lt. Mills was killed near Amiens in 1917.
    Wow, what emotions this must stir when holding it. The history and attribution of this revolver far and away exceeds any amount of monetary value that could be assessed...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Very nice Historical pistols... Thanks for sharing...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi realy like your pistols. its rare to have any history at all so you must be very pleased to have them.
    Andy