Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German drill rifle?

Article about: Greetings, & a Happy New Year! So I've had this supposed "WW2 German drill rifle" for a while now. I purchased it off of an elder gentleman in Belgium, actually the local farme

Default WW2 German drill rifle?

Greetings, & a Happy New Year!
    So I've had this supposed "WW2 German drill rifle" for a while now. I purchased it off of an elder gentleman in Belgium, actually the local farmer of a town near to where I live and he said he had it since just after the war when he was still young. He said it's a German WW2 drill rifle most likely used by Hitler youth groups to train them for drills. The rifle doesn't fire as it doesn't have a firing mechanism, but every piece of it ( I took it apart) has a lot number on it.Some match and some don't. So my question is; is it in fact a drill rifle???
    P.s.it does have the right age to it...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German drill rifle?   WW2 German drill rifle?  

WW2 German drill rifle?   WW2 German drill rifle?  

To my mind a German drill rifle would have the sling arrangement on the left side and not underneath. A swastika on the rear of the bolt is highly unlikely.

Probably a toy gun?

Cheers,
    Emile

I have seen the German air-rifles (Luftgewehr) and the small caliber rifles (KK-Klein Kaliber) used by the DJ & HJ, and the SA Wehrsport training rifles, but they are always very well-marked...But I see no similarity with this particular gadget...I am inclined to believe that this was designed as a child's toy...However, I have also seen photos of young Italian Fascist Youths presenting arms with such toy rifles...that might be an avenue to look into...
    cheers, Glenn

Yeah I also thought it might be a child's toy...but my question is why would anyone have marked every piece with lot numbers...if it's purpose was a toy? Personally I would not have had it marked, moreover the swastika is most definitely added later on. Very often local kids found helmets laying around and used them to play with. They'd add swastikas to M1s or write US on a German helmet...to play war, so that might explain the swastika. Would it be possible that it was assembled as a toy from original rifle pieces?

MAP
    ?

From these pictures, I doubt that any parts of this item (toy?) are of the quality that would be needed for a real rifle. Even a 22 caliber. The few that I can make out appear to be cast or sheet steel.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)