Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle

Article about: WW2 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle Just wondered if anyone on the forum can help me? Worldwide arms are selling these rifles on the website and they state that they are soviet marked and ww

Default WW2 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle

WW2 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle

Just wondered if anyone on the forum can help me? Worldwide arms are selling these rifles on the website and they state that they are soviet marked and ww2 dated. I am interested in buying one. Can anyone help with some advice are these rifles genuine? And more importantly is the scope a ww2 era version, or as I suspect a post war era version.

Any help from any Mosin Nagant experts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Jamie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle  

Default Re: WW2 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle

The last company I spoke with selling these had post war scopes built from wartime machinery and in the same method as the originals. However, I don't know about this company. These sniper combo kits are usually rifles that would have passed the arsenal accuracy test to become sniper rifles but were never scoped and issued. There was an article about them in Shotgun News magazine about a year ago. They might have the article on their website you can read. I have several 91s and 91/30s and they are fun and great shooters and I bet a scoped version would be fun to shoot because ammo is so cheap. In the article I remember they said the guns that qualified for sniper accuracy were marked somehow so you will want to find that also before buying one.

The rifles are original.

However the scopes and mounts are, as far as I know, new modern production.

Tread careful here, as some of their descriptions can be rather elastic shall we say......

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

A couple of years ago a small factory far-far away made couple of dozens of the scopes for a film, properly wartime marked and so on. Then they made some more for the collectors market. Not to mention copies made in US with no markings
    Just like Adrian said, be careful

?

They are WWII 91/30s that have been converted to snipers using recent production scopes and turning down the bolt. Among other dead giveaways is the close-up of the pic on the web site of the crate of snipers - the cope cover is routed through the mount hole. That was not done on the originals - what sniper would want the cap covers flapping in the wind while they were shooting? You can also tell by the screws on top of the turret.

That said, they are typically nice repros - butif you are looking for an original as part of a collection, these are not it. I actually have one - fully functional. The scope is made at one of the factories that produced them during the war and they are pretty accurate reproductions. They typically also seem to have solid barrels and make good shooters - again, not important if you are buying a deact. The downside is that they do not just select rifles to use that would have been mounted with the PU scope - 42 and later rifles. Mine, for example, was made with a '37 Izhevsk. It's a great shooter but not historically accurate.

So, it depends on what you are looking for. These are surely repros - but nice representations on 91/30 snipers.

Many thanks for the information, i appreciate it.