Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........

Article about: The Cooey .22 line-up at my place. The rifle second from the bottom was my fathers from when he was a kid. It was made for the 'T. Eaton Co.' by Cooey in the late 1920's or early 30's, and i

Default WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........

" Rifle, Cooey Pattern, .22in, Instruction, No. 1 "

Excited and very pleased to find this at the local gunshow today,
    as I have been looking for a good, clean example for a while.
    I love it !

The 'Cooey Model 82' in .22 cal. was made in Cobourg, Ontario
    and saw service during WWII, simulating full size military rifles.
    The Canadian Government ordered 34,810 at a cost of
    $13.80 each. After the war, they were sold as surplus.

'Broad arrow' markings are seen in three places on the piece.
    Only thing missing is the hard-to-find rear peep sight, but
    I'm not worried. I added a U.S. M1 sling for now.

Last pic is the commercial Model 75 - the type might be
    made up from leftover wartime stock, as this one
    has a 'C-broad arrow' marked bolt.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........   WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........  

WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........   WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........  

WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........   WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........  

WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-26-2014 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Additions and Spelling...
    Regards,

Steve.

Very neat. I don't ever recall seeing any of these before. A good find.

?

Very very cool pick up Steve I like it nice to see the C-/l\ stamps still good and sharp and legible .
    I wonder if it is possible to track down the manufacturing date through the serial number.

Regards Mark

?

I had one years ago, it only had one very small C Broad Arrow

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Quote by CampX View Post
    I had one years ago, it only had one very small C Broad Arrow

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

CampX, would your town be named after HMS Ajax or is it unrelated?

?

WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........

My Town is Named after the HMS Ajax ( No7), The Streets are all named after Crew Members, when they ran out of them, they named the streets after the Crew Members of the other 2 Ships that were with her when they fought the Graf Spre.

This town did not exist before WW2, at the beginning of WW2 the land was taken by the Gov, and one of, if not the largest shell filling plant was built here. It was Called DIL ( Defense Industries Limited).
    The original unofficial name was Dilco, however it was changed in Honour of the HMS Ajax action at the River Plate.
    Our Archives ( which I have made several donations to) Has received Commanders Harwoods Uniform from the family and is on display along with many other original items from both DIL and the HMS Ajax(No 7)
    I have a few pieces from the Ajax including the original Bell from the Officers Mess aboard ship, took 3 months to make the deal, and as the owner refused to let it go to "America" a friend in Wales helped out.
    I also have a German POW made ship in the bottle, also the Ajax as well as a napkin ring made from he teak deck.

I am always looking for original HMS Ajax ( No 7) items for my collection or the Archives.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Quote by CampX View Post
    WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........

My Town is Named after the HMS Ajax ( No7), The Streets are all named after Crew Members, when they ran out of them, they named the streets after the Crew Members of the other 2 Ships that were with her when they fought the Graf Spre.

This town did not exist before WW2, at the beginning of WW2 the land was taken by the Gov, and one of, if not the largest shell filling plant was built here. It was Called DIL ( Defense Industries Limited).
    The original unofficial name was Dilco, however it was changed in Honour of the HMS Ajax action at the River Plate.
    Our Archives ( which I have made several donations to) Has received Commanders Harwoods Uniform from the family and is on display along with many other original items from both DIL and the HMS Ajax(No 7)
    I have a few pieces from the Ajax including the original Bell from the Officers Mess aboard ship, took 3 months to make the deal, and as the owner refused to let it go to "America" a friend in Wales helped out.
    I also have a German POW made ship in the bottle, also the Ajax as well as a napkin ring made from he teak deck.

I am always looking for original HMS Ajax ( No 7) items for my collection or the Archives.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada
    I lived in Ontario all my life and never knew that. Dear God am I out of touch with reality! It's nice to hear that whoever was selling that historic bell wouldn't let it leave the country and its cultural significance lost. By any chance did a man named Rick S sell you that bell?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Very very cool pick up Steve I like it nice to see the C-/l\ stamps still good and sharp and legible .I wonder if it is possible to track down the manufacturing date through the serial number. Regards Mark
    That might be something to look into. There must be old factory
    records. I read that the Model 82 was made from 1943 until
    1945, and they were supposedly used for drill purpose by
    Air Cadets ( with the bolts removed ) into the 1980's,
    but we had Enfield .22's in the early 70's.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by CampX View Post

Dean O
    Ajax Canada
    I thought so, my Grandad was a gunner on Ajax but I think it was after the battle when he joined the ship. I have somewhere some photos and part of his diary, I never really could make out his diary entries until I was older and understood some of the history of Ajax and then sections became clear. He writes about Mount Vesuvius erupting, being attacked by dive bombers, shelling the beeches of Normandy and running patrols between Malta, Anzio and Gibralter. It all amazed me when I could eventually decipher his hand writing.

Found a bit of info on the Net.

WWII era photo inside the Cooey plant, and a post-war
    advertisement as Model 82's were being sold off
    as surplus:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Canadian Training Rifle.........  
    Attached Images Attached Images WWII Canadian Training Rifle......... 
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-26-2014 at 01:57 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast