MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit

Article about: This is my M48A Mauser rifle in 7.92 x 57 mm calibre-brand new after some 60 years-full of and coated in cosmoline deep storage grease. The M48 series are arguably the last original producti

Default Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit

This is my M48A Mauser rifle in 7.92 x 57 mm calibre-brand new after some 60 years-full of and coated in cosmoline deep storage grease.

The M48 series are arguably the last original production bolt action rifles meant for general issue to an army. The design is an amalgam of features from the FN 24 including the intermediate length receiver, late model K98k cupped butt and stamped metal parts as well as original features such as the rough wooden finish and half bent bolt handle.

After WW2 the Yugoslav state rebuilt its arms production capacity at the Kragiyervac arsenal set up in the 1920s and 30s by the FN company. Damaged during the war, it started by repairing and refitting the survivors of the prewar rifles along with captured German K98ks and then producing new rifles as the M48, it was designated as 'Factory 44' by the new Communist regime-these are well made in the traditional methods, later models using more stamped components to reduce cost. As well as being produced for Yugoslavia, they were widely exported to middle Eastern countries and others in the 1950s and early 60s but as automatic rifles rapidly came into use during the same period they were relegated to training or put into reserve storage. Many of the Yugoslav rifles were sold off in the late 80s but many also ended up being used in the Balkan wars of the 1990s especially as sniper rifles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit   Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit  

Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit   Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit  

Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit   Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit  

?

Default Re: Yugoslav M48A Rifle & Kit

Lithgow,
    Just came across this post. The M48 series are great rifles and under valued and under appreciated. The new ones came in the US 4-5 years ago. The like new ones with kits dried up very quickly. I was lucky enough to get the 48, 48A and 24/47 (in the same condition as yours I think) with kits as each one arrived on the marked. IMO they are one of the best buys I have made in quite a while as yours must be. One rarely runs across the as new condition these days especially not at the price they originally came in at. Great pick up.
    Cheers,
    Sam

I agree with Sam, rock solid all around rifle, plus good supply of cheap (somewhat cheap) large cal. ammo. Nice to look at too! I really like the wood on these girls. That cosmoline is a pain in the arse though.

Jay

?

I agree with the above,

great gun for someone wanting a 8mm mauser style military rifle to shoot without the high price or the possibility of harming the value of an original 98k.

I saw my brother-in-law kill a rather large alligator with an M48 with military ammo, took one shot.

sitges1990-the rough wood finish was intended to increase grip with gloved hands and to reduce 'glint' off the woodwork-the Yugoslavs placed a great deal of emphasis on 'guerilla' style warfare that had worked for them against the Germans and might be needed against the Soviets if they decided to remove Tito's regime that wasn't compliant to the Russians-again the half bent bolt is easier to work with gloved hands when operating in the field- forest/mountains in winter etc.

?

Lithgow,
    The upper bayonet has the muzzle ring cut off. I didn't know they did this. Do you know why it was done?
    Thanks,
    Sam

The upper bayo is a standard preWW2 German M84/98 for the K98k-it fits perfectly on the M48A and of course was available in large numbers from captured stocks to the Yugoslavs-it fits better than the modified M1924 Short bayo that was the 'official' issue type (lower bayo)-many different sources for the Yugo bayos, some with muzzle rings, some removed and some made without m/r.

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The upper bayo is a standard preWW2 German M84/98 for the K98k-it fits perfectly on the M48A and of course was available in large numbers from captured stocks to the Yugoslavs-it fits better than the modified M1924 Short bayo that was the 'official' issue type (lower bayo)-many different sources for the Yugo bayos, some with muzzle rings, some removed and some made without m/r.
    Lithgow,
    Thanks again for the info. I thought it looked like a German bayonet. You are always very helpful and a wonderful source of knowledge.
    Regards,
    Sam