MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?

Article about: Hello, I am new to this forum so hopefully I posted this in the right section. anyways.. I got this 1967 steel combat helmet from Vietnam, Its a very dark olive green. I believe the inside o

Mark Anthony
    ?

Question 1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?

Hello, I am new to this forum so hopefully I posted this in the right section.
    anyways..

I got this 1967 steel combat helmet from Vietnam, Its a very dark olive green. I believe the inside on top says "M 2" or "M 20" I cant make it out, but there's an image, the best image i could get.
    The strap says Liner. Soldiers Steel (Combat) Helmet type II 31MAY67 DSA-100-67.....(also pictured)
    It is in great condition as far as I can see.
    I bought this not knowing anything about it other than i thought it looked pretty awesome and vintage

Basically i want to know exactly what this helmet is and what its worth sold on ebay or any other website.
    Thank you for any feedback!
    1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?

?

Default Re: 1967 Steel Vietnam Combat Helmet?

Hi Mark

It looks to me like a standard US issue M1 helmet with an airborne liner which is seen from time to time or maybe an M1C (Airborne model) with the additional chinstrap tabs cut off but its hard to tell from the pics. If its an M1C there should be tabs on the chinstrap near the bale that snap fit into the studs on either side of the fibre liner. It looks like the chin cup is missing thats buckles onto those A frames which are tucked into each side of the liner suspension and you sometimes see these helmets fitted with nape straps (neck straps) and rarely foam neck pads as well. The chin cups and nape straps are easily sourced & cheap enough, The pics are not very clear but the shell appears to be repainted also. Hard to put a value on it to be honest these are usually quite sought after if in the right complete condition but this needs work in my opinion, Not much though! An original mitchell cover, Canvas chincup & nape strap should not set you back to much & would add value to it. Nice helmet overall! Cheers! Sean.

it's probably worth around US $30 - $35 it's a very common helmet set and appears to be a repaint

the straps are in nice condition

hi mark ,ive got to agree with the above comments ,it does look to have a repaint ,also its a m1c liner as stated note the pop studs above the chin strap on either side this is where the shell chinstrap extends beyond the liner and holds both the shell and liner together during a jump ,its also missing the additional chin strap which goes between both A yokes ,these can be picked up pretty easy and cheap, if it was mine id be tempted to throw a period mitchell cover on ,you certainly would make more money if you were to sell on than as it looks now ,hope this helps ,james
    Regards James

?

Agreed with all the above points, attach a Michell pattern cover, and she will look great on display, and could even add to it's resellable value!!??

In the Uk these Vietnam era M1's are going up in value on the surplus market, generally a ballpark figure of 50-60 pounds sterling.