Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed

Article about: Fellows Quality help / advice / expertise – is needed regarding this Helmet – French Adrian 26 model in order to date / identify the Polish Free Forces Eagle. 1. The Eagle itself is an inter

Default Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed

Fellows

Quality help / advice / expertise – is needed regarding this Helmet – French Adrian 26 model in order to date / identify the Polish Free Forces Eagle.
    1. The Eagle itself is an interesting one – not much is known about the manufacturer and the time of issue / units it was issued to
    2. There are number of theories re this particular pattern - we have been discussing it on the Polish Forum
    o https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...agles-1980-75/
    3. Perhaps the Experts in the field of Adrian Helmets – can pinpoint the date / specific manufacturer of this Pattern of Adrian 26
    4. I realise that millions of them had been made – but perhaps some characteristic features can be linked to time / manufacturer etc
    5. I have asked the owner for a few photographs of various details that seem to me unusual / characteristic – mainly
    ˃ The fastening of inside – based on 2 prongs not 2 bolts (the various pictures on the net – show 2 bolts
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed   Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed  

Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed   Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed  

?

Default Re: Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed

This is a fantastic helmet.
    I can only find one reference to this model. The M26 Adrian was issued to Polish exile troops in France. The book has a picture and the comment underneath translates to:

"In May 1940, the metal disk badge replaces the stenciled white eagle, judged to be too visible. Few of these helmets reached their intended recipients".

Hopefully that will help answer your question.
    Steve.

Steve
    Thank You
    What is the source of the information - ? – I would be grateful to know.
    Is there more information on the type of fastening that would allow pinpointing the manufacturer and / or period of issue – the difference between the 2 Bolts version and 2 Prongs version as per my post above.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    This is a fantastic helmet.
    I can only find one reference to this model. The M26 Adrian was issued to Polish exile troops in France. The book has a picture and the comment underneath translates to:

"In May 1940, the metal disk badge replaces the stenciled white eagle, judged to be too visible. Few of these helmets reached their intended recipients".

Hopefully that will help answer your question.
    Steve.

?

I will try an answer your questions, I am not an expert, I have a number of Adrian helmets and I like to learn more through these questions.
    The book I reference is 'Les Casques de Combat-(du monde entier de 1915 a nos jours), by Lavauzelle. It is a French book and has really good information, particualry on the French helmets.

All Adrain helmet badges were fixed using the prongs as standard. Helmets were produced with 2 horizontal slots for to fix the badge. The book does say that officers fixed their pre-war cap badges to their helmets. I think this would be a field modification rather than standard issue. I would be very interested to see a picture of one of the bolted badges and how it is fixed to the helmet.

In 1937 France changed their helmet badges to 'disc' type seen on your helmet. This specific Polish badge was only made for the Polish troops in exile, which has to put it between Oct 1939 and May 1940. The book states that these badges were produced to replace the painted white eagle in May 1940, and that not many actually reached the units in the field. I don't think you can get much more specific than that. This also aligns with the other information on the thread you linked, that there have been no photos of these helmets in use.
    My understading is that these badges were fitted when the helmet was manufcatured (this is not guaranteed though), The helemt may have the ink stamp of the manufacturer on the inside of the shell, although not all manufcaturers stamped. If we had 2 or three helmets with stamp it may be possible to make an assumpition, but to be honest I think it is unlikley.

Steve.

Stephen
    Thank You for the info – re book - very valuable.
    There is also a book in Polish (by Kijak) about the helmets but info is even more general.
    2 points to clarify
    1. The Eagle has “correct” fastening with 2 prongs that then go into 2 horizontal slots for to fix the Eagle (as per your description – no issue there)
    2. I was more referring to the way the belt and other metal elements holding the leather “internal -hat” are fixed. On all the pictures I have seen on the net they are fixe differently (see the comparison) – I was hoping this details was going to be helpful to pinpoint the manufacturer / period

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I will try an answer your questions, I am not an expert, I have a number of Adrian helmets and I like to learn more through these questions.
    The book I reference is 'Les Casques de Combat-(du monde entier de 1915 a nos jours), by Lavauzelle. It is a French book and has really good information, particualry on the French helmets.

All Adrain helmet badges were fixed using the prongs as standard. Helmets were produced with 2 horizontal slots for to fix the badge. The book does say that officers fixed their pre-war cap badges to their helmets. I think this would be a field modification rather than standard issue. I would be very interested to see a picture of one of the bolted badges and how it is fixed to the helmet.

In 1937 France changed their helmet badges to 'disc' type seen on your helmet. This specific Polish badge was only made for the Polish troops in exile, which has to put it between Oct 1939 and May 1940. The book states that these badges were produced to replace the painted white eagle in May 1940, and that not many actually reached the units in the field. I don't think you can get much more specific than that. This also aligns with the other information on the thread you linked, that there have been no photos of these helmets in use.
    My understading is that these badges were fitted when the helmet was manufcatured (this is not guaranteed though), The helemt may have the ink stamp of the manufacturer on the inside of the shell, although not all manufcaturers stamped. If we had 2 or three helmets with stamp it may be possible to make an assumpition, but to be honest I think it is unlikley.

Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed   Adrian 26 - Polish - Experts needed  

?

Apologies...
    You are correct this is a differnt method of fixing the liner and chin strap. I have not seen this before. It could be that this was a rush contract, but that would only be a guess.

have a look Brendon's Helmets - Military Steel Combat Helmets of the World then scroll down till you see polish m1926 hope this helps ,james

?

The shell isn't French, but Belgian M31.
    Piotrek

?

You are right, it's Belgian helmet, I shouldn't have missed that. Is there any record of Polish troops being in Belgium?