Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

American germanized helmet

Article about: The facts are that the PASGT helmet was phased out in 2003 in favour of the MICH TC-2000 by the U.S. Army. This bears very little resemblance to the M35 helmet at all. Furthermore, there hav

Default American germanized helmet

Should the americans not have coppied the m35 german helmet so closely. As the helmet to some who exsperienced the war would be reminded always when they see american soldiers wearing it.i see even the brit police in some circumstances are wearing them also. I love the german helmet as an historic collcetors piece,buti recognize it may have bad memories for some seeing it worn by soldiers again in a slightly different form!lv

?

Default Re: American germanized helmet

The 1st model kevlar helmets resemble german model 35's at a distance by coincidence only. The newest models do not resemble the old model 35 at all.
    Constant research in antiballistic materials and shapes that conform to the human skull will always remind historians of earlier helmet designs. During WWI experimental European and US helmets were of many shapes. Some research in helmet design during WWI will surprise todays collectors. Experimental US helmet design tried many shapes that would be recognized today as helmets adopted by other countries. One that come to mind looks like a 15th century armor helmet. Helmet design is a very interesting subject.
    Steve

I do agree .
    Here is an example of American WWI experimentale helmets.
    Attached Images Attached Images American germanized helmet 
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well said, SteveR. It is a fascinating subject to study.

A great example of this is the standard helmet of the British in WWI and WWII.
    They are direct descendants of much earlier medieval helmets.

I don't think most people would even recognize a helmet type, but simply
    see a soldier and his gear.
    Regards,

Steve.

indeed Steve.
    What about thise French pre WWI model.
    Attached Images Attached Images American germanized helmet 
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I remember reading (although everything one reads isnt true neccasarlly?,that the americans directly copied the shape from the german m35 pattern,its nickname is the fritz helmet which is a direct reference to the german helmet,lvPS EVERYTIME I SEE AN AMERICAN SOLDIER I AM PERSONALLY REMINDED OR THE GERMAN WW2 HELMET.I TEND TO UNDERSTAND WHY THEY NICKED THE IDEA AS IT REALLY IS THE ULTIMATE DESIGN,AND THEIR EFFORTS IN DESIGN OF WW1 AND WW2 AND VIETNAMS HELMETS WHERE WOWFULL .I STILL SAY IT WAS THOUGHTLESS OF THEM TO DESIGN IT SO CLOSELY TO THE WW2 PATTERN M35 AS MANY IN AMERICA ECT ECT WHERE TOUCHED BY THE WAR,LV

?

Las Vegas, you do realise the virtually every army now uses a variation of that helmet style including the Israeli army, you'd think they'd be sensitive about it but in fact they want the best protection for their soldiers. Armies that use PASGT 'Fritz' style helmets, include France, Germany, Israel, South Africa, Norwegian, Spain, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland (We use an Israeli made helmets). Need I go on? Only the British have something different.

So it isn't an issue of insensitivity. It's the reality that the Germans came up with a good design way back in WW1. When the time came to redesign the American helmet they went down the same path. When someone finds a better one everyone will adopt that. Besides the resemblence is purely superficial.

Also it's worth pointing out that the Germans continue to wear a variation of the M35, notably the Fire Brigade.

They are a means of protection not a symbol of the Nazi party.

?

I remember talking to an old British WWI vet that had migrated from Wales to the US in the early 20's to work in the coal mines just north of Oklahoma in S.E. Kansas. He said that the german style helmet didn't let rain get down the back of your neck. He liked his British gear but respected German equipment.
    To be honest I personally like the current British style helmet. It appears to cover more of the skull than the current American kevlar. I think I read in Bairs book about the style the East Germans used during the cold war was developed at the end of WWII by the Germans. It caused more glancing and ricochet hits cuting down on head wounds. It might not have been Bairs book I can't check now all of my books are packed up. I am moving to a different house after living in the same one for 41 years. I have found WWI US stuff that I had forgot I had.Especially painted helmets. I also found several German helmet shells ( none with decals ) that I had thrown in a corner of a storage building that got covered up with other junk 30 years ago. That was fun.
    Steve

?

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    I remember reading (although everything one reads isnt true neccasarlly?,that the americans directly copied the shape from the german m35 pattern,its nickname is the fritz helmet which is a direct reference to the german helmet,lvPS EVERYTIME I SEE AN AMERICAN SOLDIER I AM PERSONALLY REMINDED OR THE GERMAN WW2 HELMET.I TEND TO UNDERSTAND WHY THEY NICKED THE IDEA AS IT REALLY IS THE ULTIMATE DESIGN,AND THEIR EFFORTS IN DESIGN OF WW1 AND WW2 AND VIETNAMS HELMETS WHERE WOWFULL .I STILL SAY IT WAS THOUGHTLESS OF THEM TO DESIGN IT SO CLOSELY TO THE WW2 PATTERN M35 AS MANY IN AMERICA ECT ECT WHERE TOUCHED BY THE WAR,LV
    I see where you are comming from LV. But if you have a good design "don't fix it if it ain't broke." Having ducked a little hot lead in my younger years I can tell you that you don't care what your gear looks like if it keeps you from taking a hit.
    I don't see how these kids can wear a helmet in the 130 degree mideast heat today. I think we may have bread a good bunch of lads to fight this generations war, and ladies also.
    I especially like Prince Charles younger boy. I honestly think that lad
    has a back bone of iron, he has real courage.

I still disagree i remember reading when the design was first mooted in america ,that they where worried that it was coppied from the m35 german and thought it might be too controversial.as someone who was at a garden party at buckingham palace,no royalty will ever be in danger in the front line ,its all brit political propaganda that he wants to fight in the front line,too much money, and privelage back home for him,IT WILL BE AS USUAL THE WORKING CLASS AND THE POOR WHO WILL FIGHT THE WARS FOR THE THE CAPITALIST CLASS . .How many afghans, women, and children have been killed, their human too ,but nobody talks about that ,maybe naziism, eliteism isnt totally dead.get rid of the nazi style(FRITZ) helmet, and make a neutral design,lvPS i hope you dont think im controversial ,im just stating facts that are well known, and documented.
    Last edited by LAS VEGAS; 07-10-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast