Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?

Article about: Just arrived yesterday, some of you may have seen this helmet on eBay. The chin strap caught my attention so I grabbed it up in hopes that it might be an Argentinean M-1 as we do not have on

Default Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?

Just arrived yesterday, some of you may have seen this helmet on eBay. The chin strap caught my attention so I grabbed it up in hopes that it might be an Argentinean M-1 as we do not have one on the shelf. I think the chin strap will tell the story as the Argentines did use large rivets to secure the chin straps to the helmet bales. The J-Hook and Clasp are not familiar to me however, and I have yet to stumble on another of the same configuration, although to be honest, I have not spent much time doing so as of yet. The J-Hook and clasp are highly corroded, from near salt water use maybe? The rest of the helmet is free of corrosion.

The shell is definitely a clone and has no heat stamp or other markings of any sort. It is a front seam with a non-magnetic rim and is a few ounces lighter than a WWII US M-1. The liner is US made post Korea. I have no idea if the liner was recently put together with the helmet of if they have been matched for some time, no way of really knowing I guess. I'm not sure what is up with the black paint job either.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Update....... Additional photos added on post #12

Thanks in advance,

Russ & Son
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 09-12-2012 at 02:08 AM.

?

Default Re: Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?

I don't think it's an Argentinian pot Russ, at least it's not like the ones I've handled. It's more likely a Euro clone. Pics are of a Falklands era Argentinian lid, note the chinstrap buckle, and the spot welds that are on the inside of the rim.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?   Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?  

Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?   Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?  

Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?   Argentinean M-1 Clone Maybe?  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

This was the helmet that drove me part-mad i spent age's trying to match the weird buckle with all info i have on all M1 clones and i could not find a match,that included most south american types and euro,even aussie and NZ lids,im stumped?regards minnie.

its a puzzler russ as you say the chin strap buckle is very unusual ,ive never seen one like it before im wondering if its an early austrian stalhlhelm 2 it has the olive drab paint on the inside and werent these married up to us liners initially im sorry but its the best i can think of regards james

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    I don't think it's an Argentinian pot Russ, at least it's not like the ones I've handled. It's more likely a Euro clone. Pics are of a Falklands era Argentinian lid, note the chinstrap buckle, and the spot welds that are on the inside of the rim.

Best Regards,

Andy

Andy, I really have no idea where exactly this helmet might come from, the only think I know 100% for certain is that the liner is US made and the shell is a clone. The early Argentinian M-1s did have chin straps much similar to the US sewn on types and did use a large steel rivit to secure them, probably much easier than having them sewn on. I have seen several photographic examples of these. The T-1 style chin strap came about later I guess. There may be other countries that used this method to secure their chin straps as well, I just don't have any listed in my notes. The chin strap rivet, on either side, look pretty uniform so I doubt it was a field fix. The early Argintine M-1 chin straps also used a j-hook configuration similar to that of the helmet in my example but I have not seen an example with the clasp like my example, so I don't think I can confirm nor rule out this being an early Argentinian M-1 at this point, but I'm sure, with a little help from everyone, we'll get to the bottom of what this helmet is, one way or the other!

Russ

- - Updated - -

Quote by col james View Post
    its a puzzler russ as you say the chin strap buckle is very unusual ,ive never seen one like it before im wondering if its an early austrian stalhlhelm 2 it has the olive drab paint on the inside and werent these married up to us liners initially im sorry but its the best i can think of regards james
    James, the Austrian helmets used the Euro style anti-strangulation chin straps, not the US style.

Russ

?

I think the early Argentinian M1's were surplus American kit that they refurbed which may explain the riveted chinstraps you have seen? Argentina then later made their own clone under license by the F.M company if I remember correctly.
    The really annoying thing about the chinstrap catch on yours is that I have seen that somewhere before, and now it's driving me nuts because I cant think where!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

ok russ we need greg to id this lid im sure he will definately know ,the only other m1 clone i can think of with rivited chinstraps is the danish m48 regards james

?

Quote by col james View Post
    ok russ we need greg to id this lid im sure he will definately know ,the only other m1 clone i can think of with rivited chinstraps is the danish m48 regards james
    Not forgetting the field repaired ones, just to confuse us a bit more.........

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

iv'e only known of 3 clone type lids with rivot chinstraps 1-danish m48.2-argentina.3-french m51 so take your pic?regards minnie.

I think the early Argentinian M1's were surplus American kit
    No heat stamp Andy and it's considerably lighter than a US M-1

The really annoying thing about the chinstrap catch on yours is that I have seen that somewhere before, and now it's driving me nuts because I cant think where! Andy
    Andy, the oval end of the clasp side resembles the Dutch Arrowhead Chin strap clip.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast