Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Argentinian M-2 and M-1

Article about: Just thought I might share a few of my Argentinian M-1's and my M-2 the helmet Body on all three of these examples were produced by ( FM ) Direccion General De Fabricaciones Militares Argent

?

Default The Argentinian M-2 and M-1

With the very recent addition of an Argentinian produced helmet net which are quite rare and hard to source in there own right I thought I might share my example of the Argentinian produced M-2 the helmet body and the liner were produced by ( FM ) Direccion General De Fabricaciones Militares .
    Argentina started production on the M-1 in the early 1960's the helmets total weight is approx 1.250 grs, ( Shell 900 grs, and liner 350 grs, )
    This particular M-2 is in nice used condition showing wear indicative to a field used example the A yokes were produced with two different types of webbing and a notable difference can be seen in the colour and the textiles that were employed.
    It is my understanding that this is do to the availability of local materials at the time of manufacture this is quite common place as the webbing that was used can vary due to different suppliers and or production runs..
    The chin cup on this example was as well produced by FM and is the larger of the two sizes that were produced..
    First production Run M-1 as produced by FM...

This is a bit of an interesting helmet system I acquired through a friend and fellow collector in Uruguay who sourced it for me through another collector in Argentina as part of a helmet trade...
    These are believed to be the earliest production run M-1's as produced by ( FM ) Direccion General De Fabricaciones Militares..
    And are thought to date from some time in the early to mid 1960's it is not clear how many were even produced as information is quite patchy and scarce...
    It is my understanding until just a few years ago these were thought to be US refurbs until some extensive research was done by a collector and historian by the name of Eduardo Krapovicas...
    One of the most notable differences when comparing these early production Run M-1's to the later produced examples is the bale fixing point it is welded deeper in the helmet body away from the rim ( a comparative image can be found below the earlier example is on the left of the image ) than the later produced M-1 helmet bodies by FM as they sit deeper in the shell they have a tendency to cause damage to the liner border..
    The chinstrap webbing clip in this example is is as well of interest and said to be quite rare
    as it is a replacement made from zinced steel in the Argentinian Navy workshops..
    The liner is manufactured from fibreglass with the hard to find "FM" stamped sweatband and Riddel type cotton made suspension with fixed flat headed copper type rivets..
    The camo cover is a wartime IMARA
    ( Marines ) woodland type 1 dated to 1982 as indicated by the contract number...
    The ARA marking on the label means Armada de la Republica Argentinian or ( Argentinian Navy )...
    Argentina started production on the M 1 in the early 1960,s the helmet's total weight is approx 1.250 grs ( Shell 900 grs and liner 350 grs )..
    This particular example was manufactured by Direccion General De Fabricaciones Militares.. ( FM ) and should be dated from the mid 1970's as best I can tell the helmet body bares no mark and or heat stamp..
    Some clues to production timelines can be gained from the helmet body construction, bale placement and chinstrap clip's..
    This particular example is sporting a green cover which in actuality is a flat green jacket detachable hood, which were officially adopted and used as helmet covers...
    And a set of French produced Sambuee goggles known locally as ( Sky Goggles )

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 10-05-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Interesting. May I ask what the going rate for vintage 1980 Argentine lids is?

?

All the examples above date from the 1960's through the late 70's as to Market value I can not say I acquired all three of my examples through helmet trades...

Regards Mark

Very nice Mark........

Outstanding Trio Mark with associated covers ,The M2 is just an amazing find so thank you for sharing
    Regards James

?

Many thanx Jake and James I am very pleased to have them as to the green cover it is in actuality a flat green jacket detachable hood, that were officially adopted and used as a helmet cover...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Argentinian M-2 and M-1   The Argentinian M-2 and M-1  

Excellent jacket hood example Mark well mint condition really it really does sit pride and place on the M1
    Great stuff
    cheers James

Nice collection of Argentine lids and covers Mark!!!!!... great display too!! These particular types always seem to escape me!! SO FAR!!
    however.......I did manage to pick up a couple of Argentinian commando badges!!!......along with some later 90's woodland pattern helmet covers...and a Falklands era browning hi-power webbing holster..... and im keeping em peeled for the right Helmet!!!.... when it finally comes along!!!!!

?

Argentinian helmets of this era have always eluded me as well I do feel fortunate to have made some good friends and contacts in South America that are avid helmet collectors whom are willing to trade on occasion and keep an eye out for examples of interest for me...

Regards Mark

?

A couple of recent additions to the family I thought I would share I was very pleased to finally be able to add an Argentinian three panel medic helm to my collection a few days back they are very tough to source and one I have been trying to add to my collection for some time now there were more than a few nervous moments while I awaited for it to arrive in the post as it fell out of the tracking system for a lengthy period of time....
    The helmet body was produced by FM and the liner is as well Argentinian in origins with locally produced webbing and IMO refitted with a new chinstrap at some time in its service career it is my understanding that medic units in the Argentinian Army and or Marines much of the time were issued with for the lack of a better term second rate and or equipment of a lower quality than soldiers serving in a regular capacity...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Argentinian M-2 and M-1   The Argentinian M-2 and M-1  

The Argentinian M-2 and M-1   The Argentinian M-2 and M-1  

The Argentinian M-2 and M-1   The Argentinian M-2 and M-1  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast