Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Argentinian M1

Article about: This is my latest acquisition, a rear seam Argentinian M1 from the Falklands war era. It came as a lot, with the 7.62 cases and a Royal Navy anti-flash mask. The Mitchel cover is stuck to th

?

Default Argentinian M1

This is my latest acquisition, a rear seam Argentinian M1 from the Falklands war era. It came as a lot, with the 7.62 cases and a Royal Navy anti-flash mask. The Mitchel cover is stuck to the pot, and the pot and liner have been together for a long time. The liner is interesting, it's not American, possibly Argentinian production? There are no markings on the liner, and no soldier information scribbled inside the pot as is sometimes the case, and no heatstamp.
    Comments welcome.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1   Argentinian M1  

Argentinian M1   Argentinian M1  

Argentinian M1  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Argentinian M1

hi andy this argentinian M1 clone was produced from the 70's,made by FABRICACIONS MILITARES IN BUENOS AIRES.the pics i have uploaded show the later camo non US cover,hope this is of some help to you and great lid by the way,regards minnie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1   Argentinian M1  

?

Aha! Thanks Minnie, that is what the FM is on the sweatband then? "FABRICACIONS MILITARES." Good info, thanks! I've been chasing one of these with the Argentinian liner for a while. Cool lid you got too.
    Now, do you know anything about anti-flash masks........

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

thanks andy but no sorry flashlights arn't my thing.still surprised that your lid has a US mitchell on it,unless they filled the gap before the main production started,im sure somewhere with better knowledge on these will chime in.are you branching out away from our beloved US M1 helmet?cheers as usually my friend minnie.

A very cool and salty M1.
    I like it a lot Andy.
    Always great to see different models of the M1 helmet.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

NCA
    ?

Nice lid.Is it a bring-back from the Falklands?

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Nice lid.Is it a bring-back from the Falklands?
    It would seem so. The seller was a lady who does not normally sell militaria, just general stuff. She was given this lot and said that it was brought back by a vet off HMS Ardent--highly unlikely it was Ardent for obvious reasons. I can see no other reason for an Argentine lid of this era and in such a salty condition (both of the other Argentine Falkland War lids I have are in a salty been there condition) being in the UK and coming from such a source unless it is a bring-back. But without ID, who really knows. I may be able to find out a little about the name on the anti-flash mask though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    thanks andy but no sorry flashlights arn't my thing.still surprised that your lid has a US mitchell on it,unless they filled the gap before the main production started,im sure somewhere with better knowledge on these will chime in.are you branching out away from our beloved US M1 helmet?cheers as usually my friend minnie.
    As far as I know, some units did have Mitch covers, it's difficult to find photographic evidence though. Also I believe some ERDL covers were used too, a bit of a mix and match thing. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong on that!

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit: Mitchell?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

A very cool and salty M1.
    I like it a lot Andy.
    Always great to see different models of the M1 helmet.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Thanks Nuno!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Very nice find........would love to get my hands on one of those!

As Dave has already pointed out, the FM is for Fabricacions Militares. The first Argin M-1 were US surplus but they went on to produce both shells and liners. Liner colors varied by branch of service I believe.

Update......just found this scribbled in my cyber notes, I must have found it written in some other thread someplace, don't no the source to give credit sadly:

"Argentinian M1's,have a distinctive, weld mark on the rim,which is a clue,when trying to work out if it's US issue or not"

Regards,

Russ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast