Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, I thought you might like to see my Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets from the Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982. To supply some information on how they came into my collec

thanks for showing your superb examples and the history behind them makes them very special to have in your collection ,ps i like the finished combination ,very impressive and exactly how it would have looked in period usewell done sir
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    thanks for showing your superb examples and the history behind them makes them very special to have in your collection ,ps i like the finished combination ,very impressive and exactly how it would have looked in period usewell done sir
    Many thanks James, it's always a pleasure to show these Helmets to avid collectors, my little experiment at putting on the cover and goggles turned out well, so I am glad you like the results buddy.

What I would really like is the specific Patagonia pattern M1 cover, but these are rarer than hen's teeth, but I believe the Argentinians also wore Mitchell's , and Woodland cover's too, the goggles which feature on most of the really famous reference pictures where a combination of US and home produced models. I also have some reference pictures in book's showing these Helmets with a net, but I have never established if the net's were Argentinian ,US , or some other nations stock.

Thanks again for the compliments, which is always most appreciated

?

Here is a fantastic site I found in my favourites, which shows a lot of detailed information, specifically on the covers, goggles , and the M1c in use during this conflict, I hope you all find it useful

Agrupacion Malvinas - Militariarg.com

?

Due to some fine examples of the Argentinian M1 helmets being popular in this forum as the moment ,I thought it be be useful to raise this thread as it show's some examples of the finer details of this model, which I hope you will find useful, regards Opex.

?

Hi Gary some lovely examples shown here and just thought I might share a few of my own starting with this Argentinian M-2 / M-1 C the helmet Body was produced by ( FM ) Direccion General De Fabricaciones Militares and it is in nice used condition showing wear indicative to a field used helmet ... The first thing I noticed upon inspecting the liner is that the A-Yoke's were produced from different webbing and a noticeable difference can be seen in the textiles and the colour and so very likely a period replacement do to damage and or wear...
    I was involved in a bit of a discussion in regards to these helmets and there components a few months back and of particular interest are the chincups..
    1# Marines used chinstrap with 6 grommets that were produced from aluminium
    2# Fabricaciones Militares produced two different variations one was a five hole example and the other was a four hole example and they were produced in two different
    3 # And there was as well a three grommet variation produced by FM but these were used mainly by the Police...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982   Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982  

Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982   Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982  

Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982   Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982  

?

Argentinian M-1 sporting a camo cover to the IMARA ( Marines ) woodland type one, dated to 1982 as indicated by the contract number,ARA marking on the cover label which means Armada de la Republica Argentina or Argentinian Navy...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982   Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982  

Guys, is there a tell-tale way of identifying an Argentinian liner/shell from any other M1 / M1 clone?

?

Sorry for the very late reply Adrian I have compiled some information in regards to Argentinian produced liners and helmet bodies and will try and go into a bit more detail tomorrow morning before work here is one other example from my collection These are believed to be the earliest production run M-1's as produced by ( FM ) Direccion General De Fabricaciones Militares.. And are thought to date from some time in the early to mid 1960's it is not clear how many were even produced as information is quite patchy and scarce...It is my understanding until just a few years ago these were thought to be US refurbs until some extensive research was done by a collector and historian by the name of Eduardo Krapovicas

Regards Mark

?

Morning Adrian as per are conversation on the Argentinian M-1 helmet system here are a few more details that were shared with me from some of are fellow collector friends South of the Ecuador one of the most notable differences when comparing these early production run Argentinian M-1's as produced by FM to the later produced examples is the bale fixing point it is welded much closer to the Rim than the standard later M-1's that were produced by FM as one of the distinctive characteristics noted on later Argentinian produced M-1 helmet bodies is the bale placement as they sit deep in the shell and have been known to cause damage to the liner edge the difference can be seen in the image below with the earlier example on the right..
    The chinstrap webbing clip is as well much different than ones found used on the later Argentinian M-1's as produced by FM as they are much bulkier and larger in size the earlier example can be seen on the right hand side below
    The liners were manufactured by external suppliers of Military Fabrications, the the main manufacturer was the Rister firm that provided the whole assembly, ie liners and straps, there were other manufacturers such as Crifó and Lentino who manufactured only liner shells, with straps from other suppliers.
    At least three types of liners can be distinguished by the materials used in its construction: the first and oldest is the one made of cotton fiber fabric and polyester resin, is the lightest, weighs 370 gr and therefore the finest, its thickness varies between 1.5 and 1.7 mm. Its construction is very neat, to support the cradle type strap system it has blackened round head bronze rivets and its accessories are of sheet steel, both the cap and the neckband are made of olive green cotton ribbons with sweatband made of leather.
    The second model is made of fiberglass fabric and resin laminate polyester being the heaviest, weighs 470 gr and its thickness varies between 2.4 to 2.8mm, with a less detailed construction than the first model it uses flat headed copper rivets this was the model that was manufactured in greater quantity.
    The third liner is made of fibreglass veil and polyester resin and weighs 400 gr, in these last two models we find painted stainless steel accessories in black and in some of them, in the sweatband, have the mark of Military Fabrications stamped in the leather.
    A side by side comparison of the early production liners as compared to a 1970's liner as the earlier examples are sporting bronze round rivets as seen on the example on the right below
    Early production run liner
    Interior of later production run liner

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2