MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, I thought you might like to see my Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets from the Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982. To supply some information on how they came into my collec

?

Default Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982

Hi Fellow collectors, I thought you might like to see my Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets from the Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982. To supply some information on how they came into my collection the M1c I bought off a former Royal Marine Commando, who had had this particular helmet in the bottom of his wardrobe for many years, and knowing I was passionate about collecting Militaria he sold it to me on the proviso I did not sell it on!. The other M1 I bought from ebay many years ago and I believe from memory the helmet was on display in an Army barracks mess room. This was a time when these particular genre of Helmet were not that collectable, and certainly not as expensive as they appear to be right now. As you can see from the photo's I have provided the M1c shell and liner is of Argentinian manufacturer specifically Fabricacions Militares ( FM) who I believe are based in Buenos Aires, this is a faithful reproduction of the US version. It has been identified from the name on the sweatband who the original owner was, this was a difficult process, but with the assistance of an Argentinian based collector I was given some valuable information. The M1 has an FM made shell, and a US Firestone liner which hopefully you can see is heavily distorted, which I strongly believe is the result of the Helmet having a cover fitted at some stage , it features the FM designed webbing, and the standard green leather sweatband. This is also named but I have been unable to trace the individual.Of note is the Blue/Green paint finish on the M1 shell, with what appears to be a rough re-corking finish. Both shells have a distinctive weld mark on the rim, which is a good clue when trying to distinguish if the shell is US issue or not. Thanks for looking, regards Opex.

Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982

A great piece of history mate...

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A great piece of history mate...
    Many thanks as ever Gunny, you have literally witnessed my children's inheritance today, mind you knowing my kids they will probably sell it on ebay on a 99p starting bid.....NOOOOOOO!!

Opex

?

Update:

I have used a few spare pieces of equipment lying around, to recreate how these Argentinian M1 helmets would have looked in use in the Falklands/Malvinas, as you can see this consists of a rubber band cut from an inner tube, a US ERDL M1 helmet cover, and finally a pair of US M-44 Goggles, hope you like the outcome, regards Opex

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982  

Great piece to own especially the way in which you aquired it Gary,makes it more personal,have to say it resembles the closest thing to US made shells,even the texturing looks very similar in style,like you said a decade ago no one was remotely interested in this period of history now they go for more the KW or Nam era lids,a crazy world in which we live,look after and make the kids sign an agreement to sell it with a heavy reserve,thanx for sharing this quality piece of history.........

?

Hi Jake, many thanks for looking and your kind comments, I must admit these two helmets are probably the most treasured items from my helmet collection, I can clearly remember following the conflict in 1982,and was glued to the TV every time there was mention of the latest news as quite a few of the Royal Marine units were from my home town. Many years later I got the chance to own some genuine pieces of history so it brought back many childhood memories. The M1c is very close to the original US version with the exception of the liner composite which reminds me of some sort of fibre glass like material. The texture is similar to the silicon finish of the US shell. But a distinct difference of which I am convinced of is the brim appears to be significantly longer than US versions but to be honest I have never lined them up to be able to say with certainty , but perhaps on the next wet Sunday I will check this out, and show the results.

I am led to believe that the Argentinian Para version is a lot rarer than the infantry version, perhaps that's why the RMC I got it off insisted I do not sell it.!!

You want to hear a funny story, the second one which as you know I bought off ebay was originally sold as two separate lot's , and truth be known at the time I was literally climbing the wall's during the count down to the end time/final winner( which fortunately was me) I would never have got over the fact that the two pieces were separated...ever!!!! LOL

I think I will add these to my will with a disclaimer that the kid's will NOT be able to sell them on ebay or worse still ...car boot them, I would literally be turning in my grave!!!

Thanks again buddy, I am glad you appreciate them as much as I do

?

Brilliant helmets Opex, I never knew the Argentine's used an M1C clone. Very impressive lids friend! The fact that you acquired the para version from a Royal Marine is simply awesome! Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    Brilliant helmets Opex, I never knew the Argentine's used an M1C clone. Very impressive lids friend! The fact that you acquired the para version from a Royal Marine is simply awesome! Cheers, Sean.
    Thanks a lot for looking and your compliments Sean, yes the Argentinians has a specific Para regiment based on the Islands though over time I have forgotten the details , sadly I have lost touch with the guy I bought it off, we were former work colleagues, but hopefully if he's looking at this site, he will satisfied it's still in my possession

Hi Gary I was thinking along the same lines as sean,the shell has Infantry straps and not any special made M1C types so is it possible they ran out of Infantry US liners and just added this type 2?also the dimensions of the shell are slightly differant to US specs which would explain the US Firestone liner sitting too high hence its damage at the Bales,usually sitting just below them,either way mate still a great piece,DONT LET THE KIDS GET HOLD OF IT...............

?

[QUOTE=ruddersrangers44;1193169]Hi Gary I was thinking along the same lines as sean,the shell has Infantry straps and not any special made M1C types so is it possible they ran out of Infantry US liners and just added this type 2?also the dimensions of the shell are slightly differant to US specs which would explain the US Firestone liner sitting too high hence its damage at the Bales,usually sitting just below them,either way mate still a great piece,DONT LET THE KIDS GET HOLD OF IT..........

Hi Jake, the Para version's usage is a bit of a mystery, but I did manage to source another example by an South American collector I was in touch with on the following link

Paracaidista Ejército - Army Paratrooper

I am 101% confident in it's provenance,but it does seem odd that there are not M1c specific chinstraps!

The Firestone Liner is a terrible fit in the shell, and I deeply suspect it was a US reject, as the brim has not even in it's profile, and maybe was a mould reject??, so this might explain the crushed sides?

If I get a chance this coming weekend, I am going to try and take some photo's of these two helmets compared with the US versions for comparison, which is something I have not attempted before, perhaps the results will be interesting/educational.

And do not fear the kids will not be playing with these, thanks for your input and the discussion buddy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast