Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?

Article about: Hi , I need some help. I recently picked up this helmet at a show. I was told it was a Vet bring back from the Viet Nam war. I know very little about these helmets and I was hoping someone c

?

Default Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?

Hi ,
    I need some help. I recently picked up this helmet at a show. I was told it was a Vet bring back from the Viet Nam war. I know very little about these helmets and I was hoping someone could shed some light, if this is an official/original Viet Cong/ NVA wartime used helmet. From other threads, it was found that these helmets can be bought on the Viet Nam streets. Any opinion on the art work and writing on the helmet?
    Any thoughts, opinions, authentic? fake? Any one familiar with these helmets? Your onsite would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?Authentic Viet Cong /NVA helmet?

?

FWIW - I'm not comfortable with it. My thoughts are,....a US vet wouldn't go to so much trouble to paint a NVA flag......and a NVA vet wouldn't do what appears to be an "english" time and place. Likely tourist trade stuff,....but I am far from an expert.
    Regards,
    John

Lots and lots of these were made for tourists after the war and continue to be sold in Vietnam today. Personally I would not take it as period 1965-75 NVA helmet, but it is likely that it could have been done anywhere from January 1975 to last year. These are really hard to date and continue to pop up with " vet art".
    Morris

it's a real PAVN sun helmet from Vietnam, but definitely not a war time battle used piece, it's a common street vendor's souvineer helmet made to sell to tourists, it probably shows age just from storage and the tropical climate sitting in a street side gift shop for years until some tourist buys it or brings it back to the US to resell on ebay

?

Thanks for getting back to me. I had some suspicions about it as a tourist souvenir. But not until I got it home. I thought it looked unusual, never seen something like this...and of course, I didn't do my homework.
    I'm gonna contact the seller and hopefully return it and refund my money. Impulse buying will get you every time.
    Thanks for you input.

i believe that the viet cong would never have show any frontal insignia for obvious reasons ,its still an nice display piece though and im sure period ones have the same inner label as on your example so its in with a chance for originality ,to what year of manufacture though its anybodys guess
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    i believe that the viet cong would never have show any frontal insignia for obvious reasons ,its still an nice display piece though and im sure period ones have the same inner label as on your example so its in with a chance for originality ,to what year of manufacture though its anybodys guess
    They did wear insignia on the front of their helmets.

Original NVA wartime pith helmets are surprisingly hard to find. They do have painted emblems or insignia on the front.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    They did wear insignia on the front of their helmets.
    I read a book called Inside the NVA and the Viet Cong by Michael Lee Lanning

and US veterans said the NVA would often remove the helmet badges when infiltrating south Vietnam down the Ho Chi Minh trail

to conceal their numbers , identity to the enemy, often they would find the helmet badges inside their uniform pockets or pack of the dead enemy soldiers.

later NVA soldiers probably would have added the badges to their helmet when they liberated the South after the Fall of Saigon

NVA soldiers would generally keep the pith helmets with the badge on. VC were not issued with any standard uniform or insignia from the NLF or the NVA. They were occasionally given pith hats but it has be found mostly that they wore either soft farming hats or bamboo leaf hats. Here are a few pictures that I used when I wrote my first thesis of the Tactics of the NVA/VC against those of the Americans and why it resulted in the Loss of the Vietnam War.
    Early VC/With NLF district leader.

NVA- Supposed post La Drang Vally image

Tet 1968- With Pith

Morris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast