Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Belgian M1949

Article about: hi guys ,ive been after a nice example of the british mk11 clone for a while now and then this cropped up and just had to buy ,the liner stamp also states 1949 its in superb condition but my

thank you hughes for the confirmation of the early year model and the use of surplus ww2 period chinstraps ,i didn't realise decals were used on the more modern variaties and thanks phil it has been a long drawn out cleaning process and i simply flatted down the post war paint using a very fine grade wet and dry ,it probably still needs further cleaning work but ive gone as far as im happy going so im leaving it be now ,i just need to reassemble and chuck it back on the shelf thanks james
    Regards James

all parts back as one Belgian M1949Belgian M1949
    Regards James

You've done a nice job lifting off the repaint. I tried a different technique to remove a repaint which appeared to have been done with Humbrol enamel on a WW1 French Colonial Adrian. I used fine wire wool and plenty of liquid furniture polish. it worked a treat.

Cheers,
    Steve.

thanks for nice comment's steve ,i might just try your method next time,thanks james
    Regards James

Its hard work though... I pick up the Gew98 on Monday.

i can imagine steve ,glad to hear the mauser will be yours soon mate
    Regards James

?

Great example and restoration James, whilst your example sports a British Mk2 chinstrap the theories offered make perfect sense, between 1945 and 1949 the ABL wore British Mk2 helmets, they made their own copy so again makes perfect sense to use a British surplus chinstrap,possibly from their own stores.

As you know I particularly like tinkering and sympathetically restoring the odd piece now and again, and like you would have stripped off that layer of paint, so I think you did the right thing and it look's all the better for it

thank you opex for the kind words and for the vote of confidence on what ive done to it
    Regards James

Not sure what any of the tinkering really improved on this lid, but I have a similar WWII era strap on my Belgian MKII.

Cheers,

thank you magicdutchman ,ill take your words as a compliment to my restoration work being subtle which was my aim
    Last edited by James C; 06-14-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    Regards James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast