Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Bulgarian M-51/72

Article about: Although the Bulgarian M51/72 are a very common helmet in the market place I had not added one to my collection yet but when I seen this one posted for sale I did find it a rather interestin

?

Default Bulgarian M-51/72

Although the Bulgarian M51/72 are a very common helmet in the market place I had not added one to my collection yet but when I seen this one posted for sale I did find it a rather interesting example do to the flash on the front which IMO looks to have been re-applied at least once in its service life as you can see the remnants of the old flash underneath.
    The flash incorporates the Lion and the National colors of Bulgaria but is in a configuration I have not seen before and a search as of yet has not yielded another comparible example like it but I am happy it is an original and it will display rather nicely on the shelf .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M-51/72   Bulgarian M-51/72  

Bulgarian M-51/72   Bulgarian M-51/72  

Bulgarian M-51/72  

good find Mark, most of the surplus Bulgarian M51/72 helmets have no painted insignia like that, it appears to be original, plus it has the soldier's name in the liner, a really nice set.

much more interesting than my brand new unmarked M51/72 helmet.

very nice addition to your collection mark and im quite taken by it the hand painted coat of arms is superb and i would say applied very early on in its life ,can i ask if the liner has a date stamp at all ?i am in the same boat as battlegear having a box fresh example too ,thanks james
    Last edited by James C; 06-12-2015 at 01:35 PM.

the profile on my M51/72 looks slightly less rounded in comparison to Mark K's helmet , I think mine has the older style shell? the more rounded profile of Mark's helmet is closer to the Italian M33 shape [hybrid model]

the Cubans also used Bulgarian helmets, this photo shows Cuban soldiers wearing M51's in 1962 Havana, Cuba.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M-51/72   Bulgarian M-51/72  

Bulgarian M-51/72  

?

Many thanks BG it is a rather interesting helmet and a very welcome addition to the collection and I agree that your example would apear to be the hybrid 51/72 and the shell indeed looks to be a model 51 with the larger vent grommets installed and by the liner and chinstrap .
    James as always better images will be forthcoming when it arrives in the post I can tell you though I am very happy to have got this example as to the MM and size stampings that can be found on the liner tongue we will have to wait for a couple of weeks yet as it is coming out of Germany.

Regards Mark

well it sure is an nice example mark ,i though it strange to see a table instead of the famous canadian planter i should of had alarm bells when i saw the wodka display stand, i have a habit of doing this sometimes with my favorite tipples too Bulgarian M-51/72be sure to let me know the minute you post up your better pics ,cheers james

?

Mark,
    That's a nice find, I have a variation on the theme, a mid-production M51/72 which has been painted a rather violent green with a red Bulgarian lion on the front. I'm told that this was a parade finish.
    Roger

Bulgarian M-51/72Bulgarian M-51/72Bulgarian M-51/72
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M-51/72  

?

Thank you For chimbing in Roger and that is rather an interesting helmet you have posted your self painted in such a vibrant green with the Bulgarian lion front and center and IMO you are very likely correct as to its purpose as I can not imagine any other reason this helmet would be painted in such a fashion most certainly it was not intended to be used in the field.
    I am pleased to see the lion on the front of your example as it does lend some credence to the fact that my own example was very probably period applied.
    We do all know not to buy the story and buy the item but this particular helmet came with one anyway and it is a reported barn find from the former East Germany some years ago.

Regards Mark

?

Just a few updated images to add to the thread and sorry James there is not a size stamp and or a date on the liner to be seen I did take a couple of better pics of the soldiers name and service number though.

Regards Mark

Bulgarian M-51/72