Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bundeswehr M-62

Article about: Another recent addition came in the same box as my Bundeswehr M1A1 LL is this Bundeswehr M-62 that IMO is sporting the second variation liner that are attached via an internal suspension sys

?

Default Bundeswehr M-62

Another recent addition came in the same box as my Bundeswehr M1A1 LL is this Bundeswehr M-62 that IMO is sporting the second variation liner that are attached via an internal suspension system through the use of a flat headed bolt and dish shaped nut through the dome of the helmet body as opposed to the earlier variation which utilized four rivets with cork spacers through the front and back of the helmet body to attach the liner. I find the chinstrap system on these helmets rather interesting as they are sporting a quick release break away type buckle on there chinstraps after inspecting the liner and helmet body for a date stamp and size markings the only thing legible is the size which would appear to be a 53 / 57 and the name of PS Kesch which has been written in the liner.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundeswehr M-62   Bundeswehr M-62  

Bundeswehr M-62   Bundeswehr M-62  

Bundeswehr M-62  

it has a nice well used look, and appears to have a extra coat of textured paint, they look similar to the US M1 but they are more compact, I like the quick release chin strap design.

They are well designed helmets, and the steel is thick just like a WWII German helmet

?

Thanx BG like you I find them a well designed helmet and find them to be extremely well built and quite heavy if memory serves me correct the steel that was employed in there constuction was imported from Sweden .
    And I concour that it has received an extra coat of textured paint at some point in it's service life

Regards Mark

very nice mark ,i really like the textured finish to this one ,im a fan of the m1a1 family of helmets as they have a much more pronounced profile over the us m1 and to me are unique in there own way perhaps its there what seems lower profile and in comparison the us m1 seems oversized perhaps due to its two part construction ,i can only add to battle gears thoughts on there heavy build material wise and really are pure quality and would like to learn more on there ballistic qualities if such info was available ,i have to agree with your thoughts on the helmet being an m62 model ,i have an example in the same configuration that used an earlier m60 shell but the redundant liner rivits holes simply having push in caps ,your chinstrap is most definately in the first pattern and i would imagine the liner is manufactured by schuberth as the earlier ones were made by Hans Romer ,do you intend on finding a three point m85 to add to the collection ,this genre of helmets really are quite addictive and i was taken aback on the amount of different variations to collect,well done on a nice find

?

Hi James thank you there seems to be a good wealth of information out there on these helms which did make the ID process a little easier in regards to the liner and chinstrap.
    And yes I do fully intend on adding a M-85 it is just a matter of finding the right fit for my collection as it has to be used one of my pet peaves which can slow down acquisitions some times as can my geological location as shipping from overseas is paramount to highway robbery I will need to source a few covers and nets for my German steel as well now for the purpose of display.

Regards Mark

Great addition to your collection Mark
    As for the M85's there is a lot a variations on these types from manufactured at the time (1985) to altered/converted older helmets from the 1960's thro to the 70's helmets.
    See this from an earlier thread.....

"it would appear that after 1981 it was intended that all steel helmet models were to be upgraded. this list shows all variants of the basic M60/62, sorry for any mistakes, as I have had to translate from French. 1) Models M81 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981 (which has a plastic neck protector added) , with a 2-point chinstrap. 2 external rivets for the chinstrap. Screw head on crown.
    2) M85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981, with the new 3-point chinstrap. 3 external chinstrap rivets, screw head on crown.

Also old helmets M60/62's were upgraded:

1) M60/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell first type. Interior model 1981. The 6 old rivet holes are sealed and 3 are added to the 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown. This is the standard M85 M60 renovated (9 visible rivets).
    2) M60-62/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": first shell type.Interior model 1981. The two old rivet holes of the former interior are sealed, three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown not visible. This is brought to standard M60/62 M85 (5 visible rivets) specification.
    3) M62/85 or M81/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type. interior model 1981. The two rivet holes of the old interior are sealed and three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown visible. This is brought to the M62 or 81 to standard M85 (5 visible rivets) specifications.
    Note: The interior 60 and interior 81 is easily interchangeable, can be found in M60/62 or M62 equipped with interior model 1981 after upgrade. Note, all have the plastic neck protector as part of the 1981 interior package.
    A good read through should identify your helmet, be careful to count all rivets and check for filled holes !"
    .................makes for an interesting hunt !

Prost ! Steve.

?

Many thanx Steve this is the one thing that became clear very fast when I first started to hunt and research these helmets the phrase textbook example does not apply .
    There are many different variations of helmets ,liners and chinstraps in play that one has to be diligent in his research and then there are the export models to consider which may have been slightly modified by the country they were used by .

Regards Mark

judging by the profile and the more flared brim , I think the shell could be mfg by Sweden? the German made shells had the less flared brim.

?

I will have to have a closer look at it BG later on when I get in front of my PC and compare it to other examples.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark ... nice M62!! if you don't mind thought I would show my own, also like yours mine has the second type liner ....and still has its original instructions sticker!!! fitted with my newly acquired double-sided amoeba tarn cover!!! (this one is a proper tailored one with elastic as well!!!) and the correct issue Bundeswehr net with metal clips!! (and for comparison my M1A1LL with the reverse side on display!!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundeswehr M-62   Bundeswehr M-62  

Bundeswehr M-62  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast