Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

danish helmet

Article about: A danish helmet of which I know not much, on internet they speak about a M39 helmet. Can anyone tell me more ?

?

Default danish helmet

A danish helmet of which I know not much, on internet they speak about a M39 helmet.
    Can anyone tell me more ?

danish helmet

danish helmet

danish helmet

danish helmet

?

Well i am Danish but have never seen this particular model before. However the gray paint tells me it must be from the Danish "Civil Defense" or Civilforsvaret in Danish. Could be Navy maybe. This is all i can contribute with at the moment. If there is any stamps or text other than 58 size please post

Cheers

Hi Frei,

you're right its a Danish M/39. In Denmark its also known as an "Amalienborg" (the name of the royal palace) helmet because the royal guard were wearing these until the Danish army was disbanded in 1943.

Originally I think it was planned that they should replace the M/23 helmet, but then the war came, and after the war they were outdated and US style helmets were prefered.
    This one was probably transfered from the army to the civil defense after the war, hence the grey paint.

Cheers, Mads

?

Nice one Mads

Cheers

?

Thanks to you all, are there still any pictures known of soldiers wearing this helmet ?

Looks like a well built lid!....

I've only found one photo, it seems that I gave wrong information before, the m/39 was not used by the royal guard, but by the police guard who took over when the Danish army was disbanded by the Germans in 1943.

So in fact no regular soldiers did ever use this model, just police men and civil service personel.

Danish policemen outside the royal palace most likely from the 5th of May 1945

danish helmet

2nd photo show two royal guards on the 9th of April 1940 wearing m/23, just for comparison.

danish helmet

Cheers, Mads

?

Thanks for your help and the pictures.
    Appreciate it.

?

Quote by frei View Post
    Thanks for your help and the pictures.
    Appreciate it.
    Mads is pretty good on helmets

Cheers

Its a pity it has been repainted CF grey after the war... It is supposed to look like this:

danish helmet

The holes for the police badge have been pop-riveted shut after the war as well.
    Civil defence (CB - Civilbeskyttelse) used the M/23-41 helmets or M/23 helmets... not the M/39.
    The M/39 was used by the civil defence (CF - Civilforsvaret) a while after the war ended - 1949.

However, I have a hard time understanding why we should have wanted this helmet as a military helmet:

#1: The helmet is made of a thinner steel than the M/23 army helmet. The steel quality and thickness matches that of the M/23-41 civil defence helmet = very doubtful ballistic properties.

#2: Suspension and fittings are very delicate, and not meant for prolonged field use. They would simply break if put through what the M/23 is able to withstand.

#3: It is a very expensive helmet. The M/23 helmet is simpler in design, although they share the same high quality level, there is fewer and larger parts in the M/23 helmet than in the M/39 helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast