Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Danish M48 M1 clone

Article about: Hey guys, Got this M48 today. Was hoping it had the old US M1 WWII shell, but no... Only saw a couple of pics of it on the net, was very cheap and when I saw the S/S lip on the shell I thoug

?

Hi, this DEMA helmet was certainly worth the short wait buddy!

I really like the unique chinstraps that can be un-popped as it were, fantastic information to go along with this model too!

Great addition to this ever expanding thread, I look forward to seeing any more unique Danish M-48 helmets

Quote by Opex View Post
    Hi, this DEMA helmet was certainly worth the short wait buddy!

I really like the unique chinstraps that can be un-popped as it were, fantastic information to go along with this model too!

Great addition to this ever expanding thread, I look forward to seeing any more unique Danish M-48 helmets
    Thank you!
    It is quite a unique little helmet

?

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    Thank you!
    It is quite a unique little helmet
    You are welcome and yes it is

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my M48 shell. I bought it because it came with a mid 70's US liner, so I thought it may be an original WW2 rear seam M1.

However, once I got it home I realised it wasn't a US M1, but nor was it a typical Euro clone shell either.

In many ways it contradicts much that has already been posted here; firstly, while clearly a military shell in well aged sand textured dark green and no "CF" marking, it is actually magnetic steel. Secondly, it has an olive green version of the snap on chin strap shown earlier in the thread.

Danish M48 M1 cloneDanish M48 M1 cloneDanish M48 M1 clone

Here's the detail of the snap on strap:

Danish M48 M1 cloneDanish M48 M1 clone

Note the overlap of the rear seam, which seems to be unique to the Danish manufactured shells

Danish M48 M1 clone

You can also see numbers stamped into the rim.....I've read somewhere that this was a soldiers service number, but that seems unlikely. I guess it's a batch or serial number.

Shame I haven't got a stinky old Danish liner to go with it!

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

?

Many thanks for showing your M-48 shell, to me the rivets attaching the chinstraps could be a retrofitted aspect, and the numbers are the batch number of the steel, it look's to be an early model,it would fantastic if you can source a matching liner

Yes, the chinstrap is later, and is identical to the DEMA helmet in that it uses press studs (poppers) to attach to the bales, and has a brass buckle. The only difference is that the canvas strap is olive green and not blue/grey.

I'd love to know the story behind it, as it's clearly different to the standard configuration military M48.

Quote by RVLucy View Post
    To go back to the very useful discussion on the m/46, Denmark has been the source of quite a number of converted British Airborne helmets, which have had their harness replaced by a Mk.II chin-strap and a Mk.II top pad riveted inside the top of the skull. Here is my example, a converted HSATs Mk.I, which I got from a Copenhagen ebay vendor in 2000. There is another (fibre-rimmed) version on page 49 of Skötte's book. My first guess is they were converted to use as AFV helmets, but I don't believe the post-war Danish army had all that much armour. is it possible they were intended to be a sort of substitute m/46. Of interest is the leather chin-support on chin-strap, like on the m/37s issued to the Dansk Brigade raised in Sweden in 1944/45 (Skötte pp41 and 42).
    Does anyone have more information on these helmets. I fear most of them probably get converted back to HSAT, but they still crop up now and hten, there was one on German ebay a couple of weeks ago.
    Roger
    Attachment 797584Attachment 797585Attachment 797586Attachment 797587Attachment 797588Attachment 797589
    The shell only of one of these Danish converison HSAT's sold on Ebay recently for £100 and these is a complete one on there at the moment being sold as British which someone has oversprayed on top of the net....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6