Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Ddr east german nva steel m56

Article about: Hi everyone, Just after some opinions on the following DDR East German NVA Steel M56 helmet that I am considering. I normally collect German WW1 & 2 helmets and Great War Militaria. I kn

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    "Ahh! The B/II wouldn't that be a find? Does anybody know of one surviving in captivity?"

As far as i know a museum in Dresden has an example.
    Thanks for that! I wonder if they are open to offers?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Make them an offer but i think you'll need deep pockets, The Bundeswehr Museum of Military History.

?

Hey guys,

I have just recently started collecting full kits and uniforms of Cold war era West and East Germany.
    Dad was based in Germany with Java 137 in the early 70's. He said they shared a base with the Luftwaffe.
    He was lucky enough to get a break from base life and spent '73 and '75 in Northern Ireland.
    Like a few people have said, this stuff was everywhere in the 80's when I started collecting and I didn't pay much attention.
    My West German collection is 90% complete except for the helmet. Had a chance to get one a while ago, but they were asking way too money for it.
    My East German collection is only just beginning, as is my education.
    As a start I saw an auction in the U.S that was selling an East German lot, Helmet, Grey officer Cap with NVA markings, Grey belt and buckle, 3 cloth ammunition bandoleers, 2 canteens with cups and covers, and 2 ammo pouches. All Mint. Paid $50.
    I never thought much about the helmet being a M56 or M56/76 etc... just it was East German.
    Now that I do, I think it could be a M56?
    I won't know till it all arrives, but it has liner rivets on the outside of the shell. not a smooth shell.
    Is this correct? or did they make them like this into the 60's - 70's?
    I will post pics of everything when they arrive.
    In the meantime, this is the pic from the auction.

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ddr east german nva steel m56  

I picked this one up recently, actually cost me nothing, any good? Not something I usually go for but I never turn down freebies.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ddr east german nva steel m56  

?

Looks like a good original early M56 to me, and in great condition too. Any stamps on the inside of the shell?

Hi Rik,
    There is a "56" on one of the chinstrap tabs on the liner,matching the size 56 on the lederwerk. More photos to come.

I agree that I looks like a good M56 but I am at work viewing this on my cell phone so can't get as good a look as I would like. See post #15 above for the shell stamps you should be seeing. My only reservation so far is that the liner looks very new and I don't recall seeing that large NVA stamp on the ones I have handled. I have three at home so I will have a look this evening. You have it in hand, does the liner look like it is decades old even if mint? As I said it looks OK on my phone and as such is definitely a helmet worth having especially as it came gratis ��
    Regards
    Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Slightly better photos from daughters phone, I hope;

The liner is not as worn as the earlier example, there is scarcely any wear on the chin riemen.

Yep, much better! Looks like it's un-issued or "kammer-neue". The stamps usually from top to bottom indicate size (roman numeral), month (single Arabic numeral) and year (double Arabic numeral) yours looks to have a double year stamp of 63&64. Don't recall seeing that before. Any helmet experts help with that? Still a very nice example of the type for me.

Regards
    Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-20-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast