Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Denmark clone

Article about: Just to share what was one of the best Helmet's i picked up at this years war and peace ,been after an example of the danish M1 for many a year and this one ticked all the boxes ,hope you li

I think a good spring clean is required in both the steel and composite sub forums Greg but that is just my opinion and feel it would tidy up multiple threads and become a good resource tool for all ,I can only say Thank you for offering your services and time It would be best to try contacting Adrian Stevenson to see if it is possible to make such major changes to the forum structure

James, I completely agree with you. And I prepared to put my time and effort into it. I will have the time and inclination to work on this during the next couple of months.

How about this then - I will contact Adrian S with the proposition that at the very least we set up 'Country' folders within World Steel helmets and the prexisting Ballistic/Composite forums. Once that is established it will be a foundation on which further subfolders of threads can be made by helmet type.

I do rather like the idea of having a separate M1-clones section but that might add an extra level of confusion rather than clarity.

I'd like us all to be on the same page, with an agreed idea, before I contact Adrian.

Hi Guys, let me know your thoughts and I will see what I can do.

Making separate National sub forums would not be a problem. (Other than my time LOL)

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    I certainly support the idea of dedicated threads. Going further, I really *really* like the idea of subfolders for the most frequently discussed countries, even if specific folders for each helmet type might be too much reorganisation work. I should say that I would be more than happy to work on this project if it could be arranged. How does one go about getting permission to establish a folder tree and move threads?
    Not a bad idea!
    But it is a good question how it could be arranged.
    However, folders for each helmet type from each country might be a bit too much?
    But I don't know, let us take a look at what is possible.

EDIT:
    Whatever the decisions is, I will of course be happy to help in any way possible

Thanks Ade yes i imagine it would be very time consuming and then there is the problem of how to encourage members to add there examples to a dedicated ongoing thread and not start one of there own .Perhaps 37 webbings idea of a few more sticky posts would keep it simple but then how many it could be in the hundreds which is just unrealistic .
    The more i think about the more problems it throws up

Well look, its obvious that getting people to track back through the threads and add their new postings onto a pre-existing thread just won't work. We have the evidence for that right in front of us. People are often, frankly, too lazy for that, and sometimes they don;t even consider the fact they they may not be the first person to post on that particular topic. (We're all guilty, I point no fingers). And dedicated 'stickies' for individual helmet types would be just absurd.

There is a middle and practical way which is simply establishing subfolders by country (FRANCE, GERMANY, DENMARK, SWEDEN, KOREA, FINLAND and so on) with some more general boxes for less visited regions (BALTIC STATES, OTHER ASIA, AFRICA etcetera).

Clearly setting up those subfolders isn't going to be a massive task and we can easily make an appropriate list for whoever does it.

What would be much more time-consuming is moving already existing threads into the appropriate new subfolders. Obviously this is something only someone with admin privileges can do, but I would be happy to volunteer to do it as long as I get issued a How-To along with the job. I've spent a lot of my life ordering information so its pretty normal for me. (Where this gets awkward though is threads which are specifically international, like the one on Para helmets. There'll be a folder for that sort of thing too, called oh I dunno, INTERNATIONAL. Or something better.

Come on, people, this isn't impossible. And when in doubt, Simplify.

Making these new national sub forums is a job only Admin can do.

I can create them and them populate them with the appropriate threads.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Well look, its obvious that getting people to track back through the threads and add their new postings onto a pre-existing thread just won't work. We have the evidence for that right in front of us. People are often, frankly, too lazy for that, and sometimes they don;t even consider the fact they they may not be the first person to post on that particular topic. (We're all guilty, I point no fingers). And dedicated 'stickies' for individual helmet types would be just absurd.

There is a middle and practical way which is simply establishing subfolders by country (FRANCE, GERMANY, DENMARK, SWEDEN, KOREA, FINLAND and so on) with some more general boxes for less visited regions (BALTIC STATES, OTHER ASIA, AFRICA etcetera).

Clearly setting up those subfolders isn't going to be a massive task and we can easily make an appropriate list for whoever does it.

What would be much more time-consuming is moving already existing threads into the appropriate new subfolders. Obviously this is something only someone with admin privileges can do, but I would be happy to volunteer to do it as long as I get issued a How-To along with the job. I've spent a lot of my life ordering information so its pretty normal for me. (Where this gets awkward though is threads which are specifically international, like the one on Para helmets. There'll be a folder for that sort of thing too, called oh I dunno, INTERNATIONAL. Or something better.

Come on, people, this isn't impossible. And when in doubt, Simplify.
    I agree with you, but the only (minor) problem I can think of is that a lot of information is hidden within single threads, and will remain "hidden" if the threads are only moved (I think?), or maybe I am overthinking it?
    We are all guilty at posting valuable information on specific helmets within threads that perhaps began with the discussion of a different helmet, and these hidden gems are a veritable gold mine of information.

However, country designated folders are a millionth times better than "sticky-ed" threads (for the same reasons as listed above).
    I too will take some time of, if need be, to put some effort into the process. Just let me know

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Making these new national sub forums is a job only Admin can do.

I can create them and them populate them with the appropriate threads.
    OK, here's my plan; we provide you with a list of subforum titles Real Soon Now and then you can get going on it as and when you have the time and inclination. I will post my provisional suggestions here soon.

Sounds like a plan...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast