Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Denmark clone

Article about: Just to share what was one of the best Helmet's i picked up at this years war and peace ,been after an example of the danish M1 for many a year and this one ticked all the boxes ,hope you li

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    OK, here's my plan; we provide you with a list of subforum titles Real Soon Now and then you can get going on it as and when you have the time and inclination. I will post my provisional suggestions here soon.
    Good idea!

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    I agree with you, but the only (minor) problem I can think of is that a lot of information is hidden within single threads, and will remain "hidden" if the threads are only moved (I think?), or maybe I am overthinking it?
    We are all guilty at posting valuable information on specific helmets within threads that perhaps began with the discussion of a different helmet, and these hidden gems are a veritable gold mine of information.
    Well, you are right of course and I did reference that sort of problem. But in reality we are starting from a point of deep confusion and trying to move to a state of rather more evident order.

The 'simple' version of this is using Country subfolders which should help a lot. Threads where different ideas/types/countries are entangled are a real problem and one that can only be resolved initially by making a best-option choice, ie Where does it *best* fit at first sight.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get things reallocated later if it proves to be more sensible. And equally, nothing wrong with people re-posting material in ways which makes it more visible and hence useful. Nobody said this was going to be easy! Well, it is to a degree, but its that final ten-percent that is going to cause the head-scratching.

It seems our offers of time and effort can't be taken up, but I certainly am available to offer any assistance I can provide throughout the process.

First though, let's get that Country list done!

ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, BALTIC STATES, BELGIUM, BOSNIA, BRASIL, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, CHINA, CROATIA, CZECH REPUBLIC/CZECHOSLOVAKIA/SLOVAKIA, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, WEST GERMANY, EAST GERMANY, GREECE, GULF STATES, HUNGARY, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAQ, IRELAND, ISRAEL, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA SOUTH AND NORTH, MACEDONIA, MALAYSIA, MEXICO, NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NORWAY, PAKISTAN, PERU, POLAND, PORTUGAL, ROMANIA, RUSSIA, SERBIA, SINGAPORE, SLOVENIA, SOUTH AFRICA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN, TURKEY, UKRAINE, UNITED KINGDOM, USA, URUGUAY, VIETNAM, YUGOSLAVIA.

Now, which ones have I missed?

Well, you are right of course and I did reference that sort of problem. But in reality we are starting from a point of deep confusion and trying to move to a state of rather more evident order.

The 'simple' version of this is using Country subfolders which should help a lot. Threads where different ideas/types/countries are entangled are a real problem and one that can only be resolved initially by making a best-option choice, ie Where does it *best* fit at first sight.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get things reallocated later if it proves to be more sensible. And equally, nothing wrong with people re-posting material in ways which makes it more visible and hence useful. Nobody said this was going to be easy! Well, it is to a degree, but its that final ten-percent that is going to cause the head-scratching.

It seems our offers of time and effort can't be taken up, but I certainly am available to offer any assistance I can provide throughout the process.

First though, let's get that Country list done!

ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, BALTIC STATES, BELGIUM, BOSNIA, BRASIL, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, CHINA, CROATIA, CZECH REPUBLIC/CZECHOSLOVAKIA/SLOVAKIA, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, WEST GERMANY, EAST GERMANY, GREECE, GULF STATES, HUNGARY, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAQ, IRELAND, ISRAEL, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA SOUTH AND NORTH, MACEDONIA, MALAYSIA, MEXICO, NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NORWAY, PAKISTAN, PERU, POLAND, PORTUGAL, ROMANIA, RUSSIA, SERBIA, SINGAPORE, SLOVENIA, SOUTH AFRICA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN, TURKEY, UKRAINE, UNITED KINGDOM, USA, URUGUAY, VIETNAM, YUGOSLAVIA.

Now, which ones have I missed?
    Excellent list,
    However, and please correct me if I am wrong, do we have such an amount of posts on helmets from the former Yugoslav republics, that they warrant their own subsections? (Croatia, Republic of Macedonia, Slovenia, Serbia, etc.).

The same can be said about helmets from Both "Koreas", Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam. Would a subsection named the "FAR EAST" (or something similar) not be better? Indonesia is the one exception I can come to think of, that would warrant its own subsection.

Excellent list,
    However, and please correct me if I am wrong, do we have such an amount of posts on helmets from the former Yugoslav republics, that they warrant their own subsections? (Croatia, Republic of Macedonia, Slovenia, Serbia, etc.).

The same can be said about helmets from Both "Koreas", Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam. Would a subsection named the "FAR EAST" (or something similar) not be better? Indonesia is the one exception I can come to think of, that would warrant its own subsection.
    Perfectly reasonable points! To tell the truth I more or less just transcribed the country list from CompoSite, just to get something started. Even as I was typing it I could see obvious points of contention. And missing places.

There is a good case to be made for something like FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLICS though that does rather render these proud nations somewhat anonymous, and in a way that they might take exception to. But in a similar sense CENTRAL AMERICA or SOUTH AMERICA seem more acceptable. And I wouldn't argue too much about combining a lot of nations under simply ASIA as long as we understand what the actual geographical boundaries of Asia actually are. But then what about for example Egypt; most people are completely blind to the fact that the majority of Egypt is in fact in Africa, so it would not fit in a 'MIDDLE EAST' portmanteau.

Some fiddling about and definition making required here, certainly. But overall I do agree with you that some concatenation is required and will work. Need some more workers on this job.

That list would be too long. Some areas are already covered such as East and West Germany with their own forums. The software will only allow so many sub forums.

I will pare it down.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Perfectly reasonable points! To tell the truth I more or less just transcribed the country list from CompoSite, just to get something started. Even as I was typing it I could see obvious points of contention. And missing places.

There is a good case to be made for something like FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLICS though that does rather render these proud nations somewhat anonymous, and in a way that they might take exception to. But in a similar sense CENTRAL AMERICA or SOUTH AMERICA seem more acceptable. And I wouldn't argue too much about combining a lot of nations under simply ASIA as long as we understand what the actual geographical boundaries of Asia actually are. But then what about for example Egypt; most people are completely blind to the fact that the majority of Egypt is in fact in Africa, so it would not fit in a 'MIDDLE EAST' portmanteau.

Some fiddling about and definition making required here, certainly. But overall I do agree with you that some concatenation is required and will work. Need some more workers on this job.
    I concur.
    It is a tricky question.
    If I were to propose a list, I would argue that we should try to make life as easy as possible for the moderators, and use more general sub-forums that corner of a larger portion of the countries we talk about.
    -------------------------
    E.g.:

Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland)
    Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)

Russia 1991-
    Former Yugoslav Republics (Serbia, Kosovo, Croatia, Republic of Macedonia, etc.)
    Warsaw Pact 1955-1991 (Bulgaria, East Germany, Poland, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Romania)

United Kingdom 1945-
    Germany 1945-
    Austria 1945-
    France 1945-
    United States 1945 -

Eastern Europe 1991- (Romania, Belorussia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Moldova).
    Central Europe 1991- (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary...?)
    Western Europe 1914- (The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland)

Near East (Arabian Peninsula, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, and Turkey)
    Far East / Asia (Japan, India, China, Vietnam, North- and South Korea, Indonesia, etc.)

North Africa (Libya, Morocco, etc.)
    Sub-Saharan Africa (All countries south of the Saharan desert, including South Africa).

Canada
    Central America
    South America

---------------------------------

I like your list, 37, and also accept the Moderator's opinion that a long list may be difficult to implement. When I posted my original list I was thinking more about making it foolproof for the poster; we know for people that people will post material covering the various Germanys or the USSR here in WSH when they should rightly use the already existing sections elsewhere. But equally well it isn't a good idea to legislate for the worst case.

Your list is actually quite similar to the structure used on the IACMC forum IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

I'm happy to believe that wherever we end up its likely to be better than where we started.

James,

It is certainly a helmet, that has seen some use.
    The dark-green colour was used by the army.
    However, I am puzzled.
    The chinstrap on the liner is clearly CF (grey) but liner suspension and shell chinstrap is army issue. But perhaps it is simply a question of the CF changing the chinstrap when the helmet was transferred from army - to CF stock.
    The lighting in your photos is muddying the colours a bit, is the DKI liner dark green - or a dark greenish-grey colour?
    For comparison:

Danish Civilförsvaret M48 helmet (Danish M1 helmet version)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6