Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Do you know more info on this helmet?

Article about: My Dad is very proud of his helmet, but doesn't know what country it is from or any information behind. I would love to find more info on his helmet to present to him. I've attached some pic

Sorry I should have said welcome to the forum.
    It is a later version as it has sewn instead of eyelet loops for draw string.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

From the way it looks, it was obviously hand done, but, strangely, it looks as if it has been very carefully Ground down in the star, to make the star surface smooth to stand out from the textured helmet body itself. In any case, it's nothing that I've ever seen before and why someone did it is anybody's guess now...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Many thanks to all of you! I also emailed someone & he agreed with the other who said someone carved it in themselves. I had thought about that but like Wagriff said it's so smooth I thought it had to be part of the helmet. I think it's even more interesting that it's not necessarily something from the Army but a personal touch from one of the owners.

Another question. What does the number in the inside mean? There's a 7

?

The model is an M40/43 Swiss helmet, this link will give you a huge amount of detail (even if you can't speak French) and pictures of it in use.
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 18/40 :.

The star I also belive to be a personal item, being the stae of David, it is possible that it was used in the Israeli War of Independence as helmets form all over the world were used, but I have never seen any pictures of them in that conflict. It is an intertesing helmet and in good conditon.

thats a nice example bonnie ,as stated a swiss m1940 ,and it has the post 1943 antiglare coating ,the star is a puzzler its real hard to say but i reckon it was stencilled in at the same time as the coating it just looks to neat to have been scratched in ,of course this is just my opinion and im also basing it on the stars patina ,definately a keeper ,thanks for showing ,james

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    The model is an M40/43 Swiss helmet, this link will give you a huge amount of detail (even if you can't speak French) and pictures of it in use.
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 18/40 :.

The star I also belive to be a personal item, being the stae of David, it is possible that it was used in the Israeli War of Independence as helmets form all over the world were used, but I have never seen any pictures of them in that conflict. It is an intertesing helmet and in good conditon.
    Thanks Tinhat! My Dad does speak French, I can't wait to show him this website so he can see pictures & learn a little more. He was very excited when I called him this morning to let him know what I learned from this forum!

Nice Swiss helmet, but the star seems fantasy to me. I've never seen anything else used then American,commonwealth and Israeli made material by the Israeli defense force in it's early days as that was available at that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2