Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Don't know the type

Article about: If I rub that helmet with a cloth with acetone, firstly little spots of the red paint vanish. So I have to continue with rubbing. But when I do that, I rub away the original colour in those

?

Default Re: Don't know the type

I was lucky ... it was purely down to the difference in modern paints, .. lack of preparation by the painter (Not rubbing down and keying the surface) .. then daubing one thick coat of paint on.

Looking at the "Firemans red" on the German helmet, .. I would say that this might be have been a "quick .. thick" paint job .. which would make a good candidate for boiling water to soften the paint.

Thinking on the same lines ... although I have not tried this method, .. again on thick daubed paint, .. maybe a proper steam gun would bring off the overpaint ??? ... just a thought !!

Gary J.

Quote by WolfMan73 View Post
    wow really thats good to know i'll have to keep that in mind if i ever find anything similar thanks for the tip

?

still a good idea to try if it means not having to use chemicals

I'll also try that method...thanks. The original paint will remain?
    How can I get the red paint off the decals then? With a knive?

Nooooooooo knives on decals extremely careful with the methods already used to remove the paint. Slow removal is fine that way you know it's not coming off in gobs and takes the decal with it.

rgds, Ty

?

do not use acetone on the decals i would use paint stripper BUT dab it on & as soon as it starts affecting the red paint wash it off be extremely careful if you dont want to loose any decals that may be remaining under that paint!!!!!!!!!!

okay..
    I found a paint stripper somewhere, and I tried it on my Luftschutz helmet.
    Is it normal that there is a kind of blue shine on the Luftschutz paint?

Shall I try it on ma M35 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don't know the type  

?

dont worry about the shine, try it on your other helmet but a small piece at a time & soon as you seen the stripper working use the plastic scrapper to remove the paint & wash off to stop the stripper from doing its job just take it slow & all should be fine

Hi again....I tried it with the paint stripper on my M35. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the red paint is sometimes not removable whereas the original one vanishes.
    Or do you think that the guy who painted it red tried to remove the green paint first and then gave it up? And now I think that I'm removing it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don't know the type  

?

not sure why this is happening not unless the red paint has some how affected the original paint some how & weakened it. i know if left to long the stripper will remove the original paint as well but as long as your careful it shouldn't do this sorry mate not sure what to say very odd ??????

HELMET_DOG
    ?

I enjoy this forum,informative,factual,and a sense of humor.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast